1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Visual Studio 2005 with external compiler

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by mkleach, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mkleach

mkleach Thread Starter

Hi All,

My group at work creates two sets of programs for every project. The first is a Visual C++ GUI for operator use. The second is a hardware control program running under vxWorks.

Our problem is that we have been charged with the task of using only one IDE for all of our work. :eek: This is not a problem with the Visual C++ work - we use Visual Studio 2005.

The problem is using the Visual Studio 2005 IDE to compile the vxWorks targeted programs. I have the compilation working fine. :) However, my boss is hung up on being able to double click on any compiler errors and having the IDE open the correct file at the line causing the error. :( This is the default behavior of Visual Studio when using the Microsoft compilers.

I have searched the internet for several days looking for information on how to do this, without any luck. :confused: Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Visual Studio 2005 is a bit old now, have you tried Visual Studio 2008 ? There is a good chance it will have the feature you want.

3. mkleach

mkleach Thread Starter

The choice of VS 2005 is not mine. I am contracting with a very, very large corporation and the manager of the group had to go around channels to be able to update to the 2005 version. Therefore, VS 2008 is not even a remote possibility. They are just now "considering" MS Office 2007. Leading edge is not their forte.

4. mt2002

mt2002

Is this feature not working with other tools? Or are you recieving an error? Not quite sure I understand what you are referring to here.

5. mkleach

mkleach Thread Starter

The double click feature works fine for the Visual C++ GUI development.

However, we are compiling the hardware specific pieces to run under vxWorks. The Visual Studio 2005 IDE compiles the source code using the Wind River diab compiler for the Power PC okay. I accomplished this by creating a new project from existing code and entering the make file lines in the dialog box.

The problem is when there are compiler errors, the error list is not properly filled in, so double clicking on a compiler error does nothing, absolutely nothing. The error list has both the file path and name, and the line number in the same column, separated by a comma, and the error description only lists the error number.

The diab compiler provides all of the information necessary, but it seems to be in an unacceptable format for VS2005. I am looking for a way to reformat this compiler error information into a VS2005 acceptable format. Thereby allowing the double click action to open the file at the offending line.

Thanks for any help.

6. mt2002

mt2002

Hm, that is an interesting problem. I do not know of a solution off-hand, but am interested in it myself. I will see if I can find a solution to your problem and reply back if I find anything for you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice