1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

visuals gone.. now what

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shannyb74, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shannyb74

shannyb74 Thread Starter

ok.. so im not 'techgal' but im not quite ready to relinquish this to a 'pro'

i have 2 pc's
    mines fine.. monitor and all

kids pc didnt want to wake up this morning... i first thought it was the mouse (i just installed a new usb mouse 3 days ago and the optical light wasnt on this morning).. i have mixed and matched my 2 monitors and 2 towers.. and 2 mouses.. and have come to the conclusion that it is the kids tower that is unresponsive... even though the monitor wont 'wake up'... if i plug it into my tower it will.... but if i plug the unresponsive tower into my monitor.. it wont do anything
    so.... 1 last step before i fork out $100 to have someone tell me what the problem is.... how the heck do i even attempt to see what the problem is if i cant get anything onscreen?????
    im going to 'assume' that the usb mouse is the problem considering that the kids dont have email and dont download anything from the net.. how could it have gotten a virus..... and then there is the video thing... how to tell if a card is bad.. im clueless when i cant see anything on screen but not helpless if i had some direction... id appreciate it :eek:

2. brite750

brite750

does the unresponsive pc do anything when powered on or is it dead, put your hand behind pc and see if power supply fan is blowing air out. When you turn it on do any lights come on keyboard, leds on front of pc, anything? if no air is coming out the back then power supply is probably dead, if it is coming out the back and you get some lights then it may be video card or motherboard, ram etc. does it make any beeps when powered on? clear up some of this and then we can move forward, at this point i'm not worried about virus.

3. brite750

brite750

just to be through you have checked to make sure it is plugged in to a working outlet, and that if there is a switch on the power supply that it is set to on position, and that voltage switch is set to 115vac for USA

4. shannyb74

shannyb74 Thread Starter

its on... the lights are on.. the fan is running... but usually when it 'boots up' it will beep once when windows comes up... its not 'beeping' at all
    but it is 'on.. lights on...etc.
    i tried putting a disc in and it does nothing (no extra sound as if the disc is running)

5. shannyb74

shannyb74 Thread Starter

ps.. i just cant help but to think that its got something to do with that mouse i installed
    i should have paid attention and not bought a USB mouse... o well
    last night i noticed the optical light on
    now its not.. but the keyboard lights come on when i turn the tower on
    but without visuals i have no idea how to uninstall the driver for the mouse

6. brite750

brite750

hey did you get a usb to ps2 connector with your mouse most come with that, if so try plugging it in to ps2 connector, a bad mouse can do some funky stuff to your pc but I never had one that woudnt boot into windows, doesnt mean that thats not it though.

7. shannyb74

shannyb74 Thread Starter

ugh no it doesnt come with the connector (i too have never seen one that didnt)
    i tried pluggin my mouse in and my monitor and it still wouldnt come up
    i wish there was some way to get that driver for the mouse OFF of the hardrive

8. richman1068

richman1068

I can't believe that the mouse driver would cause total system failure, but I suppose it's possible. I am guessing that it is not a power supply problem because it powers up. Since you tried swapping mouses, I think, then it might be a virus. Do you have the XP CD? If so, you could try to use the restore console to try to restore back to an earlier working configuration. Since your CD won't work, this probably won't work, but you can try. Good luck!

9. shannyb74

shannyb74 Thread Starter

ok im going to fool around with it and see what i can come up with
    this pc has W98, but i have that disc too
    thanks for you comments

10. shannyb74

shannyb74 Thread Starter

ok im going to give up after this question.. i promise
    is there physical evidence inside the tower that would point me towards narrowing down this problem???? i dont even know what a video card looks like, if thats the problem
    i have noticed that my keyboard (num lock etc) lights come on when i turn the computer on but then they go off and it seems like it cant tell the keyboard is connected either... (i tired this keyboard too...same thing)
    still sound like a virus????
    so to sum it up..the tower is on..lights fan etc.... it wont auto run a disc (usually you can hear the ''hum'' of the disc)... the mouse and keyboard light up when i turn it on but then go off.. and the monitor ''clicks'' but doesnt wake up

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/349495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice