1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vivaldi, All4 and Ad Blockers

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by IanRM2005, Sep 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

Hi

This morning I installed the latest version of Vivaldi, went to Channel 4's catch up page, All4 to watch a TV programme and got a message saying I needed to switch off my ad blocker (this would have been done permanently on All4 but I had to reinstall Vivaldi from scratch at the weekend and delete all of my settings as my PC to had a bit of a meltdown!) so I switched off Ad Block Plus on that page, then switched off Vivaldi's built-in ad blocker, refreshed and tried again - it still said I needed to switch off my ad blocker.

I therefore disabled ABP on the extensions page and added U Block Origin instead. Switched UBO off on All4, pressed 'play' and got the same message. I then disabled UBO on the extensions page so I had no ad blockers running at all, refreshed All4 & clicked play....it still said I had an ad blocker running!

Any ideas as to what to do next, please? It's obviously not ABP or UBO that's the problem if it's still saying it when neither is working and there doesn't appear to be any other setting I can change in Vivaldi so I'm at a loss! I'll probably end up just watching All4 on my horrendously slow tablet in future if I can't get it to work!

Thank you,

Ian.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Clear the cache as it may be what the browser is using instead of getting a new page.

3. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

Thank you for the idea but it didn't work.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Try a different browser to make sure it's not Vivaldi

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

It's not the browser......it's the sites themselves. I use chrome with a few add blocking extensions and get the same thing on certain sites.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, then try Internet Explorer since that doesn't have extensions for ad blocking (that I know of)

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    IE can use ABP but it has to be installed. I know because I installed it for the rare times I have to use IE.
    Unfortunately, IE has not kept up with modern web pages so not all pages work with IE. So if you still have problems with All4, it might be a shortcoming in IE.

Sorry I can't test because I'm not in the UK. I run Firefox, Palemoon, Vivaldi and IE all with some sort of ad blocker addons/extensions.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    My point was try another browser that doesn't have an ad blocker. I think Edge is more worse than IE... :/

Another thought... perhaps the site is detecting that you have it installed, regardless if you have it enabled or not. Completely remove it to see if that works.

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

From my experience using add blockers.....when a site pops up with that dreaded popup and you disable that blocker(s). All you see is the advertising that the sites uses in which they (the site) receives monetary compensation for. It's a matter of coding for the website to allow such popups which we as a end user have no real control over.

I don't see those popups all that often but when I do I just simple X (close) out the popup.

10. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, I've since found out it was Privacy Badger causing the problem - I disabled it and now All4 and some Facebook games which weren't working either, are now back to normal! Odd, as Privacy Badger isn't an ad blocker as such, but thanks for your help anyway.

11. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

There was no mention of privacy badger in any of you posts. That extension is a tracker blocker, which can cause issues with some sites.

That said, I'm glad you found your problem. Depending what browsers you use, there is a setting in there that does that natively "send do not track" requests.

12. IanRM2005

IanRM2005 Thread Starter

No, I didn't mention it because I don't consider it an ad blocker (I admit I know little about it but it was recommended by both Computeractive & Webuser magazines & I knew it was blocking something in the background but I knew it didn't block adverts so I didn't think that would be the issue) and it was an ad blocker that All4 said was the problem.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    For reference, this is from Wikipedia

"Its purpose is to promote a balanced approach to internet privacy between consumers and content providers by blocking advertisements and tracking cookies that do not respect the Do Not Track setting in a user's web browser.[4] While some of its code is based on Adblock Plus, Privacy Badger only blocks those ads which come with embedded trackers.[4]"

I guess these sites are basically forcing you to get adverts.

I will be installing this to see what websites I go to does these trackers .... :)

14. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I did the same thing Couriant. (y)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice