VKD Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

serenus

"While initializing device VKD: Windows protection error"
Windows won't start, I cannot scan the registry, fix or restore. Every time scandisk starts it gets stuck and doesn't complete therefore locking the computer up. I cannot reinstall windows because again, scandisk freezes. Is this a bad keyboard or is it something else?

Thanks!

have you tried to start in safe mode then removing the device in device manager and rebooting to let windows reinstall you VKD

serenus

I cannot get into safe mode, I get stuck in scandisk and if i try to escape out of it, i get stuck at the vkd error. I have replaced the keyboard but that didn't work.

try holding down the shift key at post.......Are you saying the first thing that happends at boot is your computer goes directly to scandisk?

serenus

Shift does nothing.
I go into the splash screen and then directly into scandisk. Scandisk says that the computer was not properly shut down. If I hit esc to bypass scandisk, I hang. If I let it run through scandisk at 25% I get a message that says that there was an error with cluster475015 and it will try to continue past this error, that I should click yes to do a surface scan. I hit okay and I hang.

I've checked the bootlog.txt and I stick at (000998F5] Device init = VKD

I cannot use scanreg or scanreg/fix or scanreg/restore, I get hung with these as well.

If I esc from the splash screen I receive the protection error while initializing VKD.

If I hit Ctrl while booting, it tells me that it has detected a registry/configuration error and to run scanreg, but I can't.

:)

Have you tried booting to DOS and running scandisk there? Here's the drill:

Press and hold the ctrl key to access the boot menu. Choose the command prompt. At the c:> prompt enter:

scandisk /surface

If this is WinME, you will need your Windows startup disk to access a command prompt, and enter the command:

scandisk c: /surface

serenus

Yes, that doesn't work either because it has to go through the regular scan first and gets stuck on the bad cluster and hangs.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you get to the dos prompt? If so have you tried the scanreg /restore from there? Try the 'safe command prompt' option instead.

It's been a very long time since I've run a DOS scan and I can't quite remember how it goes. You are getting to the DOS prompt to enter the command right?

One thing you might try is to create a custom scan by editing the scandisk.ini file in c:\windows\command. You can do this through the DOS editor by entering

edit c:\windows\command\scandisk.ini

To save changes, press Alt+F to access the file save and exit menu.

You can reconfigure scandisk to skip certain checks such as "bad clusters" or "lost clusters"; although doing so might not resolve the vkd error (which, in fact is quite often fixed by running the DOS surface scan).

Once you have created a custom scandisk.ini file you can then run the DOS scandisk by entering:

scandisk /custom /surface

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q116/3/97.asp&NoWebContent=1

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Out of curiosity, have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard and/or a different keyboard?

serenus

I've changed keyboards and that didn't work.

I can get into the prompt and the prompt in safe mode didn't work either.

Scanreg doesn't work, nor does scanreg/restore or scanreg/fix, I hang at checking system files.

I will try the other suggestions shortly.. thanks!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Do you give it enough time to check? Just want to be certain :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online