VLAN and Guest Wifi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tuckerm

I'm running into a bit of a snag this afternoon trying to configure guest wireless.

Scenerio:
I'm looking to isolate Cisco/Linksys E1200 wireless router on it's own network that it can only use to get internet.

Equipment:

Charter Internet Modem --> LinksysE1200 (used to get internet from charter) --> HP ProCurve3500 SW1 --> HP ProCurve3500 SW2

Currently there is a default VLAN1 and that's where everything sits. I'd like port 34 to be on it's own VLAN along with one of the uplinks from the LinksysE1200 to get internet. I do not want it to access any other parts of the network.

I have four ports on LinksysE1200. One goes to port 48 on the HP ProCurve 3500 SW1 and provides internet to everyone. Port 2 should go to port 33 on the ProCurve SW1 (VLAN 300) to provide internet to anyone on VLAN300.

Am I making sense? Am I off on my VLANs? I haven't needed to use VLANs in years.

So you want to isolate your guest network from the main network is what I'm getting. To isolate the guest network, you would have to create a new vlan and configure that port for the vlan (ex. Vlan2 port34), although all the other ports may sit in vlan1 you can take port 34 and assign it to vlan 2 ONCE you create vlan2. Everything that you've stated seems to be accurate as stated and should work. Jus assign the ports that you want in alternate Vlan in another Vlan.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If your requirement is really to provide wireless guest access, you're not going to be able to do it with that wireless router. First issue is whether you want to have a guest BSSID and a trusted BSSID to provide full separation between trusted and untrusted wireless clients or just dedicate all the entire wireless to guest access. Your router will also need to have the capability of having multiple virtual router interfaces. So following strictly with what you said with wireless connectivity, this will not involve any of your HP switches.

If you're looking to provide wired guest access, that's a different design and discussion.

Either way you don't have the proper equipment to support any of the options.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online