VLAN Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Damonc

Damon
Hi,
Needing a little bit of help. I've got a XenServer which one of the VM's has a virtual VLAN adapter running on VLAN 7. I'd like to enable on our Netgear Prosafe switch to have that link from the server access the network, and the VLAN from the VM only access another device on VLAN 7..

In a little more detail this is the setup..

We have Kerio Control running in a XenServer VM.
The server has two physical network interfaces, eth0 goes directly to a modem/router. eth1 goes to the LAN.

I can create a VLAN adapter in Kerio (which I've done) which is on eth1. I'd like that VLAN to go to our secondary modem/router as a failover connection in kerio rather than connecting to the LAN at all..

the secondary modem/router cannot have ANY access to the LAN, just the VLAN7. I've tried setting up tagged and untagged ports in the switch but to be honest, I haven't really played around with VLAN's and am unable to get the setup to work..

Suggestions?

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Assuming XenServer does not tag VLAN traffic leaving the NIC, have you tried setting the port VLAN ID to 7 on the switch?

You may want to double check this as VMware ESXi does tag all frames leaving the NIC if you set a VLAN ID. If this is the situation with XenServer, you'll have to set the port on the switch to the server as tagged for VLAN 7. For the backup modem, you'll have to set that to untagged for VLAN 7 as I highly doubt the modem can deal with 802.1Q tagged frames.

Damonc

Damon
The virtual VLAN adapter is setup in Kerio.. so guessing it tags the traffic.

I'll try what you've suggested above and get back to you..

Damonc

Damon
Kerio is now getting an IP address through the VLAN.. looks like it should be alright..

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So which way did you set the port on the switch? Did you just set the PVID for the port connected to the switch or did you do the second suggestion to tag the port to the server and then set the PVID for the modem?

Damonc

Damon
I've the PVID for port 1 (where the modem is connected) to 7 and untagged.. then port 3 is set to tag on VLAN 7

Damonc

Damon
I read that I had to use PVID to be able to remove the untag on port 1 for VLAN 1 because the netgear doesn't allow you to edit VLAN1.. not sure if that was the right thing to do or not tho..

Damonc

Damon
After saying that Kerio was getting an IP through the VLAN I restarted the VM and now its not.. so I still havent got something right..

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That's been my experience with these smart switches. I have had a few of the Netgear switches in my home network (FS526T, GS108Tv1, GS108Tv2, GS748TP) and what you've done is what I have always done when I change an untagged port to anything other than VLAN1. As an FYI, the Dell PowerConnect 2700/2800 switches behave the same way. I've used a 2708 and am currently using a 2824 as a supplemental switch for remote/on the go use.

Because of how labor intensive it is to make a VLAN change to a port....just configuring VLANs in general, I've pretty much swapped out all smart switches from my network. There are only two smart switches I'm running now which are in my family room and A/V room for A/V connectivity. Also, Netgear has made a change I so intensely hate with their latest iteration of smart switches. They've locked configuration of VLAN 2 and 3. They assume everyone would be OK with Netgear telling you that these VLANs are fixed for VoIP (VLAN 2) and video (VLAN 3). I also hate how smart switches force you to stay with a native VLAN of 1 for trunk ports and VLAN 1 is fixed for the management IP. For small offices and home use, it is usually OK. But for any type of real business applications, these limitations are inexcusable.

Anyways, glad you got it working.

Damonc

Damon
Thanks for the info.. I don't think its fully working yet.. I'll have a bit more of a fiddle tho and see what i can work out. This is a Netgear GS752TP.. we've actually got 3 of them.. but the server and the router are actually patched into the same one..

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I didn't see your post before my last one. I don't think the switch is the culprit now...being you were able to get an IP via DHCP on the VM. I don't know how XenServer operates at all. Any chance the MAC address changed on the VM?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online