VLAN Routing (Netgear Switch)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nick3young

Hi All,

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can solve this problem for me...

How is it possible to configure 2 VLANs to communicate with each other on the same switch? I have managed to create 2 VLANS and they both work (and can access the internet), but they can't communicate with each other.

VLAN1 has an IP range starting 10.4.160 and VLAN2 has an IP range starting 10.6.192.

Is it VLAN routing that I'm looking for? Are there any Netgear switch experts out there that can help me set this up? My switch is Netgear GSM7328FS.

Thanks in advance
Nick

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To allow routing between VLANs on the same switch, you need a layer 3 switch, which you have. I've never configured one of those. The only Netgear switches I've configured are the web managed ones which are layer 2 only but have configured other layer 3 switches. Basically, you need to create a VLAN interface and assign an IP address to it. By default when the switch has multiple VLAN interfaces with IP addresses, it will route between them without needing to have any static route entries or the use of routing protocols. It is known as locally connected. With the connected clients on both subnets, you would make the default gateway the IP address of the switch on that respective subnet/VLAN.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online