1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VLan

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sabrefreak, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabrefreak

sabrefreak Thread Starter

My company is getting too big for our router, so to speak.
    I have it giving out 100 DHCP addresses (divided amongst lan, wireless, and phones, not to mention guests), and reserve the rest for internal items such as printers, the phone system, and network hardware, servers, as well as virtual pc's.

Anyways, since we now occupy space in a building next door, and may soon take more space, I think I need to be ahead of things here. I was thinking about a Vlan system between the offices but I don't know much about them.

What I want in the end is that I get a range of IP's, and that everyone in both buildings can easily see the servers and printers, and internet.

I'm currently using simple gear - nothing managed or high end. I've used managed switches for clients, just never needed them in the office before.

The modem connects to the router (RV016) which connects to a Barracuda WebFilter 310 which connects to the main switches (D-Link DGS1024D). There's a wireless AP in each building.

I'll be gone for vacation starting Thursday but I'll be checking back as time allows. I just wanted to get this started before I forgot :)

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. moonwalk

moonwalk

hi,
    sounds like a cool project. my first question is how are the two buildings going to be connected in terms of computer networks (i.e., some fiber runs, CAT6, or a serial link, etc.). The answer to that question will influence your options.

assuming you can extend your layer 2 switch fabric to the new space, i'd create separate vlans for your different users (wireless, finance, etc.). this will give you many administrative options re organizing your network (perhaps a separate vlan just for shared resources, like servers, printers, etc.) and controlling access. each vlan will have its own ip subnet, and you can dhcp as you like. use one (or two if redundancy is required) router for the inter-vlan routing.

i'm not too familiar with your hardware as i'm mainly a cisco guy.

so those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. if you supply more details i'd be happy to chime in ;)

best of luck!

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

moonwalk provided a pretty decent summary of things you need to consider. But expanding on VLANs, you need to consider what VLANs mean. VLANs are a layer 2 feature as such, you need to account for the need to route between VLANs to get traffic in and out them. This can be done with layer 3 switches or with routers/firewalls which support 802.1Q tagging or has the right number of physical interfaces to support your routing needs.

4. sabrefreak

currently the 2 buildings are connected by cat6. this is part of the reason why i think we should probably go this way, especially with the potential to increase the other buildings occupants.

the only vlan book i found at the store was about 12 years old and not terribly well written (which is probably why it was still on the shelf).:(

i also thought about a separate router with a different ip (so 192.168.1.x for one building, and 192.168.2.x for the other, for examle) but couldn't get around connectivity between internet, servers, printers, etc..

5. sabrefreak

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice