1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VLC 3.0.3 will not convert VTS to MP4

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Grayrail, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grayrail

Grayrail Thread Starter

I have a DVD with VTS files of old home movies - no sound, subtitles or other features, just 30 minutes of video. I downloaded VLC 3.0.3 and attempted to convert to MP4 and save the file on my PC. The process took some time as the converter moved from time 0:00 to time 30:11. The result was a very small (7 second) MP4 file showing only a black screen. I also noticed that the files on the DVD are now associated with VLC, although I think the files are the same.

I'm running Win 7 with the latest updates.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Grayrail

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay

Attached Files:

3. kenbok51

kenbok51

If your DVD has separate Video_TS files for each video you recorded, you should use HandBreaks source selector to open files. Then select each Video_TS file and convert them in turn rather than trying to open the entire DVD. If you do open the DVD as a whole, each file will be listed separately in the drop down it creates and you can choose that way.

When trying to figure out HandBreaks Video Tab for selecting an Average Bitrate, it's a good idea to use the free Mediainfo tool to see what bitrate the videos were recorded at so you can set them to the same rate and keep the sizes similar to the original Video_TS file sizes. Install Mediainfo and then right click on any of the larger Video_TS files and "open with" Mediainfo to view it's specifics. It will show the type of video and a lot of info about it including the bitrate it was recorded at. I prefer the tree view of Mediainfo myself and use an older version of HandBreak v 0.10.5.0. I like the older HandBreak over the newer versions but it's up to you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice