1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vlookup & CountA function together?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by acejackhammer, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acejackhammer

acejackhammer Thread Starter

Hello, I have an Excel worksheet with 2 tabs. An employee tab has two columns; location and date. The other tab labeled main locations has all locations and dates. I'm looking to do a vlookup where if the main locations tab has a date in the date column and that location is one in the employee tab then counta all locations that have a date in the employee tab.

So the main locations tab has more locations and input dates than this specific employee tab. Once a date is entered in the main locations tab, if that location matches with the one in the employee tab, counta that date entry.

Any thoughts as to how to write this formula? This is what I had but I get an error message:

=VLOOKUP(A2:A85,'main locations'!A2:A202,COUNTA('main locations'!B2:B202,)*2,FALSE)
    formula in the employee tab. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi,
    As far as I know VLOOKUP only works on single entries, the first found is used, so that will not work, also the list has to be sorted alphabetically, I think something like MATCH en INDIRECT but I'm not tat hot with formula's
    Another point, not less important, you forgot to mention the EXCEL version?

3. acejackhammer

Thanks. I have Excel 2010. I'll attempt to look into match.

4. Garf13LD

Garf13LD

Pls upload a file with sample data to demonstrate.

5. acejackhammer

Sure thing. Here it is and thanks.

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice