1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VMWare can't access files on hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by thestringbender, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thestringbender

thestringbender Thread Starter

So here's the problem: My actual machine is windows xp sp3, but I'm running windows 7 on the virtual machine. I go into the c: directory and find my user profile on the virtual machine (my actual user profile for windows xp) but there is a lock beside it. And when I go into any sub-directories ie; My documents, etc. There are no files in it.

How do I go about unlocking the the xp profile so I can use files off my HDD?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I've never seen a Windows XP file system that had locks on folders. Windows 7 does, but XP doesn't. Perhaps your post is confusing the guest versus host OSs. The Windows 7 file system is different than Xp's.

3. thestringbender

It's definitely the xp folder that is locked. I haven't seen it either and that's why it's confusing me. I'll try to explain it a little better so you can understand.

I go onto my Virtual Machine(Windows 7). Within Windows 7, I go to my computer/Local Disc C:/Users/ Then it shows my profile with a lock beside it, and a public profile.

Also the file sizes are really small. The Darrell folder (My XP user profile) is 0 kbs. Idk if this is because it's locked, or what. In other words, I just want to be able to go into my actual HDD and get to a wallpaper folder I have in my documents on my actual xp system.

I can't figure anyway of getting to my files :/

4. thestringbender

Alright so I'm an idiot. I just realized that what I'm doing is going into the VIRTUAL HDD. Cause the local disc c: is only 40 gigs. So now my question is, how do I get to the files on my actual machine?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

First, it would help to use some universal terminology. With virtual technology, there are two systems: the host and the guest. The host system runs an operating system and the virtualization software which then runs one or more guest operating systems.

So, is your host system Windows XP or Windows 7? What virtualization technology are you using? VMware? Desktop? Server? What is the guest operating system? Windows XP or Windows 7? What are you trying to access from where and how?

VMware Desktop includes a Shared Folders feature which allows the guest systems to access the host system's files. Is that what you're using? If so, what folder are you trying to access? What is the full path you're browsing to? What error messages are you seeing?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice