1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved VMware Fusion -- creation of vm without a disk image

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by andynic, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Hi,

Background:

I just downloaded VMware Fusion 10 on my new Macbook (Mac OS high sierra 10.13).

I am using an old version of VMware Fusion on my desktop Mac with a VM running Window XP Professional (yes, very old but convenient for my purpose and not connected to the internet for security).

As crazy as it may come across, I wish to duplicate the configuration on my Macbook.

There is no DVD player on the Macbook. There is one on the desktop Mac. So I tried copying the XP installation disk onto a memory stick to try to do the installation on the Macbook. It doen't work since the VMware Fusion VM creation wizard asks you to drag and drop a disk image onto it.

Question:
    Short of buying an external DVD player for my Macbook, can anyone suggest a way to create the VM that I want?

Thanks for your help.
    Andynic

Thanks for your help.

Andynic

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Get some software to generate an iso file image of the DVD.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  4. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick replies.
    Am having problems creating a disk image that works. Will send a doc with some screenshots in a few days.

5. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Have decided not to install Fusion on my laptop.
    Apologies for the delay in getting back.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice