1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VMware Player and multiple host adapters issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by genshi800, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genshi800

genshi800 Thread Starter

Goal: To have host machine (win7) to use wired interface (lan1) (10.89.228.171) as default, while vm (winxp) uses wireless interface (wireless1) (192.168.1.2) as default. Each interface is a seperate network and seperate isp.

Using Vmware player 3.1.3

I have set the VM to bridged mode, and bridged that virtual adapter to the wireless interface with vmnetcfg. VM is now able to get out on the internet, ipchicken shows its going out on the wireless isp.

On the host machine, I am also going out on the wireless interface.
    I changed metric on wired (lan1) to 1 for gateway AND interface
    changed metric on wireless (wireless1) to 100 for interface (no gateway option)

Now, the host machine goes out on the lan1 gateway, great!
    Also changed adapter priority, set lan1 above wireless1

Now, when going back to the VM, it is not able to get out on the internet.

If I remove metric for gateway on lan1, I will default back to wireless on the host, Even with the
    priority showing lan1 before wireless1..

I guess what im asking windows to do is route all traffic from host through lan1, and route all traffic from vm through wireless1, concurrently.

Help !

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!