1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VNC free addition. Any good?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mooash, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mooash

Mooash Thread Starter

I was going to download real VNC so I could access my computer at school to make it easier. The free addition looks like the best choice for me which I plan to use on a Vista computer running the xp version. Will that work? Is it any good? Is it trust worthy? Will it introduce threats to my computer? Thanks.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

Yes, excellent. If you have OneCare you'll have some permission issues, but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle (it thinks it's a trojan). Other than that, works very well IMHO. :)

3. UKGent

UKGent

Hi
    The free real vnc wil not work with windows vista 2008 server, if your using a simple network its very good apart from it does not have 128-bit AES Session Encryption & Tamper-Proofing, if you need to have a secure environment I would not recommend the free edition.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

If you school computer is connected to your school's network you probably won't be able to access it since you would need to open ports on the firewall.

Regards,
    Rollin

5. itsmanaged

itsmanaged

If your school computer is running XP Pro or later, why not use RDP? It is much faster than VNC and it too is free - it is included in XP Pro (not home) and Vista I believe.

To get to the machine at school you will need to get through the school firewall - ask the admin. Also to stop any man and his dog taking over your computer, and possibly corrupting the school environment, you will need some encryption - a VPN or an SSH tunnel - again ask your admin for that standards they have adopted.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice