VNC free addition. Any good?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mooash

I was going to download real VNC so I could access my computer at school to make it easier. The free addition looks like the best choice for me which I plan to use on a Vista computer running the xp version. Will that work? Is it any good? Is it trust worthy? Will it introduce threats to my computer? Thanks.

Hi there,

Yes, excellent. If you have OneCare you'll have some permission issues, but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle (it thinks it's a trojan). Other than that, works very well IMHO. :)

Hi
The free real vnc wil not work with windows vista 2008 server, if your using a simple network its very good apart from it does not have 128-bit AES Session Encryption & Tamper-Proofing, if you need to have a secure environment I would not recommend the free edition.

If you school computer is connected to your school's network you probably won't be able to access it since you would need to open ports on the firewall.

Regards,
Rollin

If your school computer is running XP Pro or later, why not use RDP? It is much faster than VNC and it too is free - it is included in XP Pro (not home) and Vista I believe.

To get to the machine at school you will need to get through the school firewall - ask the admin. Also to stop any man and his dog taking over your computer, and possibly corrupting the school environment, you will need some encryption - a VPN or an SSH tunnel - again ask your admin for that standards they have adopted.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online