1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VNC Home Network DSL Router WinXP SP2

Discussion in 'Networking' started by santaclawz, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. santaclawz

santaclawz Thread Starter

Hi

I'm trying to set up VNC so that I can control my music server remotely from a computer in my home office.

I've followed all the VNC instructions I can find with no success.

The problem I get is when starting VNC viewer "Run VNC Viewer". The "VNC Viewer: Connection" window asks me to input the "server:".

The VNC Server programme is running on the Music Server.

I am using a Belkin ADSL Modem/Router to connect the network and connect to the internet. The music server and the office computer are both connected as a LAN to the router.

The Office Computer has been given the IP address: 192.168.2.7 by the router and the Music Server IP is: 192 168.2.2 The Router Internal IP is 192.168.2.1 and the External IP is dynamic. Currently: 210.54.158.157

I have tried all sorts of inputs in the "Server:" window without success. I get error message: "unable to connect to host: Connection refused (1061)"

The computers are networked happily and ping eachother no problem. I have tried disabling Zone Alarm on both computers and the WinXP SP2 firewall is disabled.

Can anyone help? :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to go into the configuration page for the router and forward port 5900 for screen 0, port 5901 for screen 1, etc. Each computer behind a router needs a specific logical screen, don't leave all of them at the default screen 0 setting for the VNC server.

3. santaclawz

OK. I need to enable ports in my router. I have opened the configuration page of the router.

The columns are headed up "trigger port" and "public port". Each has a choice of TCP or UDP. The "trigger port" column allows an input of only a few characters. I guess this is where "5801" e.g. goes. What goes in the "public port" column? The IP address of the station that I am setting this port up for? Do I select TCP or UDP?

I tried putting 5900 + IP address. Both set to TCP. Got a "public port error" on the router.

4. santaclawz

Thanks for your help.

Still get errors. Have found the correct page on my router thanks to: http://www.portforward.com/belkin/f5d7630.htm

Common ports for VNC are 5900, 5800, 5500.

How to set up ports so I can control my music server (192.168.2.1) from office (192.168.2.7). Router IP is 192.168.2.2

The router settings are: LAN IP address, TCP or UDP or TCP+UDP, LAN Port, Public Port.

I've tried all sorts of settings such as:

LAN IP = 192.168.2.2, TCP+UDP, 5900, 5900.

Please suggest the correct setup?

Regards and thanks.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not familiar with the Belkin setup, but I just setup 5900...590x for my machines behind the router to forward TCP to the specific IP addresses of the LAN machines. That's all it's ever taken to forward VNC through the router for me. 580x is the VNC port for the JAVA client, and I don't know what 550x would be used for with VNC.

It's odd that your router's IP address is 192.168.2.2, in the middle of the class C range, I'd expect it to be 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.2.254.

In any case, if that is the case, you want to use 192.168.2.1 in the forwarding, since you are forwarding the ports to the specific machine, not the router.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice