1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VNC hosted on webserver?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by codexaenir, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. codexaenir

codexaenir Thread Starter

Ok, i know how to get vnc up and running... But i want to do this:

I want to get the java applet up onto my web server to "password" it. Then i will be able to access my computer by going into the web server... typing the password... and typing the vnc password.. How can i do this?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Do you have physical control of the server? If it is hosted by someone other than you the answer is NO. If you have complete control over it you can set up a gateway type service. I am not sure about VNC, but remote admin and a few others allow you to do this.

3. cinci_matt

cinci_matt

if you have vnc running as a service,
    you can access it from any computer with web/internet capability

in the browser's address bar type:
    http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5800
    (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - your external IP address)

this will bring up your VNC password screen-
    enter your password & begin playing!

hope that helps-

4. drafter

drafter

I have vnc running on my computer at home. I did not change any settings on it so everthing remains at default values. I hope this is right. Now you say all I have to do is type in http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5800 in the address bar and I will have access to my computer at home. How do I find out what my exter ip address is.

5. cinci_matt

cinci_matt

that's correct-
    by default it will work,

there are many ways to find out your ip address-
    win98: 'Start' -> 'Run' -> winipcfg
    win2k,XP: (from command prompt) ipconfig /all

or, if VNC is running, put your mouse over the VNC icon and hold it still, your IP address will pop up (WinVNC - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

this will give you your IP address

cheers-
    mb

6. drafter

drafter

I have a router at home with three computers on it. Will this make a difference?

Thanx

7. cinci_matt

cinci_matt

yes,
    if your router is issuing DHCP, then you will need to find a way to give the system in question an external (outside of the router) address and you may want to drop the issue.

If your router is NOT issuing DHCP addresses (meaning you are getting 3 different addresses from the Cable company) then you can connect directly into your system

best way to figure it out is to look at your IP address at home, if it starts with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or 198.xxx.xxx.xxx, you have a router issuing DHCP and it may be more trouble than it's worth.

if it's something else, give it a try, it should work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice