1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vnc Program

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lisag, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisag

lisag Thread Starter

I have something on my computer called VNC. I downloaded it awhile back. Its some sort of program that lets people connect to my computer. Is this safe to have? Can they connect without my knowing it? Should I take it off?

2. 0x29a

0x29a

Hi lisag,

VNC is very similar in function to PCAnywhere. It allows a user to completely control your machine depending how it has been configured. We use it at work all the time. There are two parts: the client portion on my local machine that is used to connect to a server portion that resides on the machine I want to connect to. The server portion won't run until you have set a password for incoming connections. Someone would need to know your IP address or hostname, and password to connect to you. Still, if you have no need to allow access to your machine then I would definitely remove it.

Good luck,

andrew

3. lisag

lisag Thread Starter

I downloaded it because the owner of another computer help site would take over my computer and fix all my problems for me, but I am here now more than there, so I really don't need it anymore and because of some personal problems I won't ask him for help any more. He does have my name and password but I also did had to find my IP address each time he connected because it changes each time I connect to the internet and I would have to turn it on from my side first. I was just wondering if he could turn it on some how and me not know about it but I see he can't so, thanks!

Lisa

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Also, if you didn't know, you can easily tell when there's someone connected. That white "vnc" next to your clock will turn black when you're not alone. :)

5. lisag

lisag Thread Starter

Thanks TechGuy,

I did know that it turned black but with all the shortcuts and tricks that can be done with a computer I didn't know if it could be turned on and me not know about. If there was some trick I figured one of you guys might know about it. I think I'm just going to remove it though.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice