1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VNC/TightVNC/RealVNC: HOWTO for connecting machine behind router

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Akito, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

I just have a small network behind a router.. I need to connect to various machines over the internet, but am unsure how to do this. VNC accepts 1 IP address - which obviously points it at the router.

I know this can be done, but I'm not sure how. Does this make sense?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're connecting to your machines that are behind the router, you need to open port 590x (x is the screen #) for TCP and UDP traffic. You then install VNC on each of the machines and give them unique screen numbers, 0,1,2, etc.

OTOH, if you're connection from your network somewhere else, you don't have to open any ports on your router.

A better description of exactly what you want to accomplish makes helping you a lot easier. :rolleyes:

3. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Yeah, sorry..

Essentially I have 3 machines connected to a barricade SMC router. 2 windows XP and 1 linux. I'm just trying to access the machines remotely, from my school. You pretty much cleared it up, with the port numbers. I know where to give them unique screen numbers. Thanks johnwill :)

4. JohnWill

OK, glad to help. :)

5. sauroneru

sauroneru

I'm trying to do the same thing, with a cheap Belkin router. I have forwarded TCP and UDP for both ports 5800 and 5900 to my computer, but I still get "cannot find server" errors. It works fine when I use 127.0.0.1 as my IP address. I have port forwarding working successfully with other programs, so I'm confused...

6. JohnWill

Do you have VNC on the computer configured for screen 0?

7. sauroneru

sauroneru

Yep, I can get to it just fine either through its web access or the viewer program when I use 127.0.0.1:5800 as the IP address (bypassing the router), but not when I type in my WAN IP.

8. JohnWill

OH, now I understand. :) You can't get to your WAN IP from inside the LAN, you have to be coming from outside. I have a dial-up account with www.access-4-free.com for testing stuff like this. :)

Depending on how much you trust them, you could also have a friend try to contact you. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice