1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VNETSUP Error 6107 Work Around

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by james91911, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james91911

james91911 Thread Starter

Hello - I have visited the messages in this forum, and have encountered this problem time and time again. The registry restores one time, then goes into a cycle without restoring after that. Da0 then works one time, after that - reinstallation is the only solution. I have tried all MS 6107 solutions - to no avail. Is there a work around to this devise VNETSUP so it can be deleted, disabled or otherwise put on the shelf so it will not corrupt the registry? I have looked through all registry keys, and can't find VNETSUP listed anywhere. I run a clean system without any new "stuff" i.e. I.E. 3.0, Internet Mail (MS 3.0), NS 4.76, a printer (Epson 600) and that's it. System is an Old Cyrix P166+ with 64MB 72 Pin SIMM, Maxtor 5400 8.4HD, external modem and 4X CD-ROM. Just about as basic as it was "back then" - reason I like it. I can't restore or make copies of the registry because my system does not recognize .dat extensions needed to make copies. Thanks in advance for the suggestions/help.
    James91911

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

What operating system are you using so the forum can better able assist you?

You stated you are having troubles backing up the registry, but to get help you need to explain exactly why you're trying to backup the registry.

Have you done a on-line virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com ?

Are you using a firewall like free Sygate from http://download.com and typing, sygate, in the Search box? you must be on-line to install Sygate.

3. james91911

Thank you for the reply Styxx. I am using the Cyrix P-166+ CPU with 64MB of EDO RAM and a Maxtor 8.4 GIG HD. Software loaded includes Windows 95B, I.E. 3.0, Netscape 4.76, Works 4.0, external modem and Epson 600 printer. I use the original MS Internet Mail program that came with Win95B. (Located in the programs folder). I connect via a local ISP at 49 - 50KBPS. The problem with the VNETSUP Error 6107 seems to happen anytime I try to load an anti-virus program (either from CD or a download, examples are: AVG Anti-Virus, V-CATCH, FIRST AID 98 (with virus protection). Also think utility programs, or any program having trouble loading causes this situation like FIX-IT 3.0. The first time the error occurs, I can use a backup from the registry just fine. The second time I can use da0, after that - it just cycles between asking me to use a backup, requiring a restart then asking again. I have followed the MS instructions provided by Help Base Articles 145836, 152561, 132332 and 131431. With the exception of the da0 restore, none of these fixes work on my computer. One fix says it can't find .dat*.bu or dat.bu, and if I do get a "registry restored" then I get an error message "need to backup the registry with at least three copies" but does not tell me how and will not allow any icons on the desktop to open. VNETSUP is a product of the Network Neighborhood, but I can't find it or the "device" it refers to in the registry or by using "find" from the start menu. I hope this provides the basic problem I am having, and have had for over a year and a half. I know there were registry issues with Windows 95 and the AMD K6-2 CPU, which was fixed with a patch from Microsoft. Could this be a CPU compatability problem? I noted that one other person having this problem was using an AMD K5 CPU. No one mentioned any Intel CPUs. Not trying to ramble here, just provide as many facts as I can to obtain a fix to this on going situation. Thanks so much for your time and suggestions.
    james91911

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Likely the fix is simpler than it seems.

So in going forward with troubleshooting, you'd certainly want to delete all of these, AVG Anti-Virus, V-CATCH, FIRST AID 98, and restarting your computer, before trying another product like free AntiVir from http://free-av.com

But before any of that I would uninstall all your anti-virus programs like those listed above; Restarting your computer between uninstalls; Temporarily disable your screen saver and upgrade to Win98 FE or SE (using a upgrade CD of course).

What you most likely are experiencing here is a symptom of a unrepairable corrupted operating system (OS) not incompatibility between AV programs and Windows or, other programs between themselves (not including Windows).

So IMHO your best routes would be to 1, uninstall all AV products and restart your computer between uninstalls until ready then 2, insert your Win95 install CD and attempt to do an over-write install of Win95 which will prompt you with one of several options to over-write/install lost, missing or corrupted files, or 3, and the most highly recommended, to upgrade to Win98 after the uninstalls and restarts listed above. It may be necessary to initiate the Win95 over-write procedure through the use of a Win95/98 Startup floppy, starting with CD-ROM support and at an [A] prompt switch to a [E] prompt and type, setup.

It's hard to step back and look at a situation because you get too close sometimes. Have you tried uninstalling AV and upgrading your OS yet?

5. james91911

Thank you so much for the keen observations and suggestions Styxx. After reading your latest reply, I think I am in the "forrest and the trees" mode for sure :). Your comment regarding an unreparable corrupted operating system rings true. Computers are my hobby in retirement, and I still have all my original purchases running Every flavor of Windows from 95B through ME - and guess what? None of them have a problem regardless of the installed AV program, or any other program for that matter except this version. Being a FAT16 OS, I can run all of the old games purchased years ago that I never found time to use until now. Just to keep this in perspective in reference to your suggestions: There are no AV programs installed at this time (with Explorer 3.0 and Netscape 4.76, getting a virus is pretty remote), and every time I had a problem with any AV program, I would uninstall it, and maybe it would restart, and maybe the VNETSUP error would require a new install. I hate to give up on this Win95B OS because it is such a wonder to play with, but alas - it may be time to do just that. Again, thank you for your time, and most of all the accurate observations. Sincerely,
    james91911

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice