Voice chat lag!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JMT74

Yeah. I voice chat with a friend on a few different chat programs and it doesn't seem to matter which program we use. We start off ok but after maybe 5 minutes or so I notice we are lagging. She will talk and I will see her mouth moving on her webcam and I will get what she says like 10 secs later. This doesn't happen with everyone I talk with. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to get rid of the lag between us? We tried skype and the same thing happens. I am just wondering if there is any chat program that will not lag at all? My guess is no but I'll ask anyway lol Thanks.

it depends on your and her network connection.
and i guess she might have some slow connection

(since you chat ok with others).

fairnooks

Banned
Sometimes these chat protocols are identified as having the same packet signature as peer to peer connnections and some ISPs have been known to throttle the connection or even disrupt it if detected, which would explain starting off ok and then hitting the skids. I had the same thing happen to me on Skype with a sattelite internet provider where the lag would just keep winding out until it was ridiculous.

One way you can check on this possibility is to set up a vpn tunnel to shield the packets from analysis. Sometimes Hamachi https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en can work very well if the chat program lets you configure it to use the virtual ip it creates.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online