1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

voice recognition software...

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by deuce, Jan 24, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Anyone have any opinions as to who's the best?

2. RandyG

RandyG

2 that I have always heard good things about.

IBM's Viavoice

Dragon's Naturally Speaking

The point about any of them, you need spend a considerable amount of time getting them to learn your speech patterns sufficiently to use them with any sort of accuracy. I've got an older version of Naturally Speaking that came free with a comp mag, and have played around with it. I haven't the time to keep teaching it, so haven't tried to use it anymore. I do like the fact that you can do more than just type letters, but actually navigate the Internet, switch beteewn windows, open programs, etc.

3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

That is why I really want it now. Sounds like the technology is really good now. I have been hearing so much about it lately. I first wanted to get it back in like 98 but they were way to expensive then. Prices seem really reasonable now. Not like $300 back then.

4. RandyG

RandyG

5. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Thanks Randy... :)

6. Dark Star

Dark Star

hey guys.

Randy thanks for the links, seems like IBMs Viavoice stands out as the best from what I've read thus far prices out at $200 and taking all things into consideration well wort the difference in price from the others.
    I also found this link and it has some recent info and looks to be pretty accurate as well.

http://www.tifaq.com/speech.html

7. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

A high quality microphone is also a BIG plus. I have
    "Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred" version 3.01
    (a few years old now), and it's amazingly accurate
    if I talk LOUD into my "el cheapo" microphone. I'm
    sure a better mike would make a huge difference... :)

8. jimi

jimi

duece as you know these guys are all making excellent points, mac is correct about the mike, the one that came with natural - couple years old- lasted 1 day, knew by then it wasn't going to work. played with typing letters a few times but the most useful feature was the "open word" "page down" "get mail" type of stuff. and be prepared to spend lots of time getting that software to know you, weeks to actually make it worth your while, may be better now. as of today IBM's viavoice does sound like the best bet IMO.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice