1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VOIP prioritisation

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jayrog, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jayrog

Jayrog Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to configure my HP switches (ProCurve 2524) to give precedence to VOIP packets?

I've got some IP handsets on the way and believe there can be a bit of an echo if I don't do this...

Searching around the HP support centre hasn't been much help to me so I'm hoping someone here will!

Thanks

2. jghost5

jghost5

Hi, I manage 6 small workgroups with multiple gateways and switches.
    I also use skype voip, this is the only voip protocol I have worked with.
    But I have no issue with echo what so ever.
    I didn't open any extra ports for this.

3. hermes

hermes

To prioritize traffic for voice on certain ports use this:

To set high priority for voice on interfaces 1,2 and 3

int 1
    qos priority 7
    int 2
    qos priority 7
    int 3
    qos priority 7

There are 7 levels and 6 and 7 are generally voice and video. 5 and 4 would be mission critical data. 3 is all other data. 1 is peer-to-peer. Obviously you can set other ports to use lower priorities.

The following command will set qos priority to 7 for a device (192.168.10.1 in this example:

qos device-priority 192.168.10.1 pri 7

That is the extent of my knowledge although if you try www.tek-tips.com they are a more enterprise orientated forum and have VOIP and HP forums open.

4. Jayrog

Jayrog Thread Starter

Thanks to you both.. much appreciated!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice