1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

voltage question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crazypiper, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crazypiper

crazypiper Thread Starter

I recently returned from living in Japan, where I bought a Japanese DVD player and some movies. However, in Japan, they use 100v, versus our 120 or whatever here in the States. My question is, is this something I need to get a converter for, or is it going to be okay? I don't want to fry the thing on accident because it'll be tough to replace and then I'll have a bunch of useless DVDs. And if I need a converter, where might I get one? I called Radio Shack and another place in my area, but they only have stuff to convert up from ours to 220. So, does anyone know anything about this? Thanks a lot.

For the record, the DVD player is 100v 9w and 50/60 Hz.

Ryan

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just out of interest does it have a lable on the dvd with a voltage range - lots of equipment is capable of taking a range of voltages - ie 100-240V 50/60hz
    or does it just have 100V on it

whats the make/model maybe a search of the web / tech manual etc

3. crazypiper

no voltage range, just 100v. It is a Sony player. There may be info out there, but it's likely to all be in Japanese and my reading isn't good enough for that. I'll try and find/browse the manual though...

4. Ol Sarge

Ol Sarge Guest

It's been a while since I was in Japan, but the only problem I ran into was the frequency differences. At that time, Japanese power was 50hz, Vs 60 here. The voltage there varied all over the 100-120 range. You needed a capstan swap for a phonograph to compensate for the frequency difference, but most manufacturers supplied one. Other than that my gear worked just fine here and there. Of course, Sony should be able to tell you.

5. crazypiper

I emailed Sony and got a shoddy reply about how they recommend only using equipment in the country it was made for and such. Sounded pretty standard to me and didn't help at all. Is there anyone who does any import gaming that could help with this problem? Or, is there an import gaming forum I could try posting here?

6. twotugs

twotugs

7. crazypiper

Hey thanks twotugs, I think that website will do it for me. I think the 100v would be fine, but it'd be fairly tough to replace this thing if I fry it, so I'd rather not risk it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice