1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Voltage Readings...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carnie, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carnie

carnie Thread Starter

Umm. I got speedfan and did a railing reading and...well, lookie: http://www.geocities.com/carnie07/voltagereading.jpg (I hope the link works). I heard the -5V was okay, but the +5V's are awfully low...my PSU's a brand new, 200 dollar enermax 600W...so...yeah. I guess I should ask a question...

...are the readings okay, or should I get some sort of regulator thing?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure where those readings are coming from. Try Everest, PCWizard, or your BIOS (maybe that is where you were).

Everest:
    http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
    PCWizard 2004 here--->[​IMG](Open up the options and choose the classic interface to easily see all the buttons.)

Does everything work OK? Readings will vary depending on their source. Short of readings from a VTVM, I wouldn't worry about them too much. The fact that they are low is especially good if they are anywhere near right and everything is working well because your hardware will last longer.

My +5 says it's 0 right now. I used to have to run my 2.2v CPU at 9v to get it to work at all, and it didn't even get hot.

In short, be wary of the accuracy of those readings unless you have a high quality meter right on the connections. :D

3. carnie

carnie Thread Starter

Everything's working okay, yeah. had a run-in with my SATA hard drives where the bootup would hang when trying to detect them, but a simple reconnection of the wires solved that. Other than that, just a heating problem with my video card which i'm solving soon...

sorry, iw as using speedfan

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't worry if all works OK. Speedfan gets its results from the BIOS, an inexact process at best, and then the BIOS readings can be inaccurate, too. So I would only worry if they read extremely high and it was possible that they were actually correct. Low is a good thing if it works. I always run all my expensive electronic equipment on the lowest possible voltage to reduce power consumption and "heat-shock", which is the bane of silicon chips. If it really is low and works, all the better.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You can't trust programs to tell you the correct readings. :) I had a 5v reading that was about the same as yours is showing. I went an got my multimeter off my truck and tested it. It was spot on.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The voltage and temperature sensors on a motherboard are a "rough indication" only, not a precise measurement.
    They are a 20 cent component. A good meter costs the same amount as a motherboard. Treat the accuracy accordingly.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!