voltage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

whymusteye

i recently built a new computer.. (xp pro, soltek mb, amd64) the motherboard came with a utility that monitors cpu temp, fan speed, voltage, etc. all of the voltages are fine except for -12v, which runs at idle between -13.3 and -13.6. when under load it jumps to -14 to -15. i don't think that is healthy but i'm not sure. any help on what is causing this or what i can do about it would be great. thanks

EDIT: also... on the utility that monitors the voltage, it flashes in red when it goes upwards of -13.7. so i'm assuming that there is a problem somewhere

Really, don't worry so much about the -voltages. Watch the +voltages. Very, very few things even use the -volts anymore. I haven't found anything that measures-volts very well. The sensors they use on the boards must be total crap.

pugmug

Banned
Agree with Skivvy,minus voltage is just a return signal for the electrical systems given input voltage.To much math-headache.lol

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
My -12 on this system is currently being read as -8.33. :D I doubt I'd worry about it...

I was just curious. Everest is reading mine as 0.73. ASUS probe doesn't even bother.

crjdriver

Just wondering, what soltek board are you running? This screenshot of the HM is from an nf4-pro 929.

Attachments

pugmug

Banned
Is your puter running ok? If so do not worry about -voltage.It is + voltage, that is what you need to watch.You do not want to over volt any thing in your puter unless you are an overclocker with experence.As far as third party utility programs go you can not trust all of their reads as each system build has their own little quirks.There is no sure thing in this life but death.

whymusteye

it's running fine, i just didn't want to screw something up after dropping 1200 dollars on parts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online