1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Volume control failure

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by slayer911, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slayer911

slayer911 Thread Starter

Hello. About three weeks ago my computer stopped playing audio of any kind. The Windows XP troubleshooting thing said my volume control panel was just turned down. I turned it up, and the sound resumed, but only for an average of two minutes at a time. Since then, every time I turn on my computer the "Wave" part of the volume is set to the very minimum. Again, resetting it to a normal level works for about two minutes, after which time the volume cuts out but the slider remains in the same place (that is, it doesn't go back to minimum). Clicking on the slider bar, anywhere, starts the whole cycle over again.

This is my computer according to TSG SysInfo:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 24951 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M3N78 PRO
    Antivirus: None

I have a good memory so I put together my computer myself from a list of things a proper expert recommended after seeing someone else assemble a computer. However for all practical purposes I am advanced-computer-stuff illiterate, and this has very much hampered my ability to even phrase the question properly in, say, a Google search.

Thank you very much for your time,

Lucas

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What is the audio chipset status in Device Manager when the audio stops working?

Have you tried updating or manually reinstalling the audio drivers?

3. slayer911

slayer911 Thread Starter

Firstly, thank you very much for your reply. But I don't know what a chipset is or how to discover its status. The Device Manager claims my "Legacy Audio Drivers" are in working order, and the option to "update drivers" meets with the message that Windows cannot find any drivers better than what I now have. I've been reluctant to re-install the driver because my previous attempts at software modification without professional instruction tend to end in disaster.

Please forgive my ineptness; I know it will increase the time and frustration of solving what may well be a simple problem. I truly appreciate any help offered in this matter.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would start by reinstalling the audio drivers. It sounds like you are using the onboard audio chipset, so you can get the drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website. Simply download, run the install file, and reboot.

5. slayer911

slayer911 Thread Starter

OK, I re-installed the audio driver. As the computer was shutting down to restart, it played the shut-down noise, and I rejoiced and was glad. But upon restarting the problem seems to be the same as it has been, and now I gnash my teeth. I know I got the correct audio driver, so maybe that isn't it.

Thank you for helping

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Check the audio chipset status in Device Manager.

Device Manager / Sound, video and game controllers / should be listed as Realtek

7. slayer911

slayer911 Thread Starter

The following things seemed audio related and are in working order according to right-clicking on them and selecting "properties": Realtek High Definition Audio, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, Media Control Devices, Legacy Audio Drivers, and Audio Codecs.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!