1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

volume icon gone

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by farmgirl, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. farmgirl

farmgirl Thread Starter

Help I've lost the volume control in the taskbar. When I go to control panel then multimedia the checkbox to add the icon in the taskbar is greyed out. How do I fix this. Thanks

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Do you have sound ? or is it just the icon missing, and what is your operating system?

3. kuzzz

kuzzz

hi farmgirl,

go to the control panel click on sounds and under the volume tab you'll find a box to check that puts the volume control icon in your tool bar.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi farmgirl

I have seen this with a Sound Wave Pro sound card I installed.
    It needed new drivers right out of the box, to correct that disabled icon to the system tray.

Change the device selected in the Audio properties to see if the Add the icon to the system tray box becomes enabled.

If it does, you may need to update the drivers. Check the website for the manufacturer of your sound card to see if they have new drivers available which restores the option to Add the icon to the system tray.

Do you remember when this occurred, or the last time you saw the icon before any software/hardware installations?

Are there any devices in Device Manager that have an X or ! symbol that designates a device is not working properly?

Let us know.

5. farmgirl

farmgirl Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your great help. I will have to wait till the weekend to work on it though. I will reply and let you know how it goes

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did this just happen? If so, you may be able to boot to a command prompt and type

scanreg /restore
    and press enter

and restore back to a day when it was working.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice