1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Volume Label Gibberish

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bturner, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bturner

bturner Thread Starter

Got my hands on a PC that had a virus. Used the Macfee boot disk, thought I had cleaned up the virus, now I need to reformat the harddrive. When I go into FDISK, choose delete partitons, the volume label is written in gibberish. So since I am unable to make out the name of the volume label, I can't delete that partition. Oh yeah, I tried to format the C Drive as is but was blocked. The C Drive directory still shows up but can't access anything. Any suggestions. The computer is an old one with a 233 processor, 32 mgs of Ram, 2 gig hard drive, Western Digital, video and modem. Thanks for any help.

2. deuce

deuce

Have you tried using the Western Digital install disk? They have imaging software on it and tools to reformat and repair some types of damage, depending on the severity.

3. bturner

bturner Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Deuce, I have a copy of the WD program, it won't delete the partition nor reformat the drive. Is there another program that you are aware of that may do the trick or do I need to use this drive as a door stopper? ;)

4. ETS

ETS

The Western Digital utilities have a feature that writes all zero's to the drive which is essentially a "low level format". Have you tried that?

5. bturner

bturner Thread Starter

No I haven't tried that. as a matter of fact I forgot all about that.
    Oh thank you, thank you. mama always said 2 heads are better than one. Thanks, BT

6. kimmer13

kimmer13

my maxtor drive that got a virus had all gibberish too. I had the same problems, and posted it here (i think last spring?) and someone suggested I attach it as a slave to a good working system. Then I used windows 98se's tool for formatting the slave drive. worked like a charm. fyi.........

7. deuce

deuce

That could work... but it requires another working hard drive with an OS on it to use. Also, if WD's basic tools didn't work, windows might get errors trying to do it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice