1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Volume memory problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by clrockny24, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clrockny24

clrockny24 Thread Starter

hello,

I have windows xp, and have been having problems with volume on my computer. From what I can tell, this problem does not occur when using windows media player, which I use as my main music player. When I am either listening to internet radio or watching videos, the sound gets rather slow and starts to stutter.

I've been running the disk cleanup often for two weeks, but the program I thought would help the most was disk defragmenter. Unfortunately, after the defragmenter starts, it says that the volume (C: ) has only 3% space required for use by disk defragmenter, when it needs 15%. I've heard that to combat this, right-clicking on my computer and bringing up properties and clicking the system restore tab, allows you to check the "turn off system restore" box and move the slider to 4% (I hear 15% is way more than enough.) I did that, but the disk defragmenter problem still occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DKTaber

DKTaber

If you have only 3-4% free space, the drive will perform very poorly. For one thing, it's unlikely to be able to use much virtual memory (writing memory items to the disk), which may be the cause of your sound stutter. Turning off system restore will certainly stop it from creating any NEW restore points, but will not delete the ones that are already there, so will not gain you any additional space NOW. If you want to zap your restore points, you can do that by opening My Computer, right click the OS drive, click Properties and click the [Disk Cleanup] button. After it finishes its calculations, it will show you a "Disk Cleanup" page showing you how much space you can get from deleting the items you check. . . after which you click OK. But to zap system restore points, go to the next tab ("More Options") and click the [Clean up] button in the System Restore section. Be aware that in XP, you cannot specifiy what restore points to zap; the clean up will zap ALL but the last restore point.

But it's unlikely any of this will get you the 15% free space you need. I suggest you examine your working files for "stuff" you don't need. . . like all the pictures and videos you saved. . . and zap them or move them to an external drive or large jump drive. If you don't want to do that, buy a new, larger drive. Drives are cheap. My HD died 3 months ago. The replacement drive cost $63 from Amazon, no shipping charge, and took about 8 minutes to install. 'Course that was the easy part. Installing Win XP from my SP2 original disc followed by reinstallation of all the software and a gazillion updates took 4 hours. Sorry, but there's no workaround for that!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice