1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vonage router and Linksys Router sharing problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Peter Komar, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peter Komar

Peter Komar Thread Starter

Evening,
    My home network use to consist of 3 comps all running XP Pro and a Vonage router. With the addition of a 4th comp, I have had to use a port on the back of the RTP 300 for one comp. The four others ( 3 comps and the Vonage router )are connected to my Linksys WRT54GL. and I have no problems sharing files and printers. The one comp connected to the Vonage router will not allow file sharing or show up in Network Connections although it has no trouble accessing the net. Is there a setting in the Linksys router that I have to change to allow this one comp to share? I can't access the RTP 300 to make changes as it is locked. I have made sure all the comps are using the same work group and all file and printer settings are set the same on all comps. Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. apr911

apr911

Because of the configuration you have described and the ways routers inherently work, your 4th computer, plugged into the back of your vonage router is isolated on its own LAN and subnet.

The easiest solution I have found is to purchase a Hub or Switch to use to add additional port capabilities to your initial router. The switch is faster so it is preferred, but the hub is cheaper. On your network being as small as it is, you likely wont notice a major performance difference between a switch and a hub.

To avoid quality degradation your vonage router should be plugged into a switch and not a hub or for optimal performance remain directly plugged into your initial router with your computers plugged into the switch or hub.

There may be a way to make your vonage router and all computers connected to it join an existing subnet essentially turning your router into a switch but from what I recall of the firmware on my vonage router when i had it, there was no easy way to do this. There may be 3rd party firmware that allows you to do so but I am not sure.

3. Peter Komar

Thank you for your help apr911, I will pickup a switch next weekend and give it a go.

4. gurutech

gurutech

Don't use the uplink/wan/internet port on the Vonage router. Connect port 1 of the Vonage router to one of the ports on the Linksys, then connect the 4th computer to port 2, 3, or 4 on the Vonage router. This will force the Vonage router to work in "switch" mode, and place it on the same subnet of the Linksys router.

5. Peter Komar

Thank you gurutech for the suggestion. I tried it but the phone system stopped working. Someone suggested to do it again but using a cross over cable instead. Do you think that would work?:)

6. Peter Komar

Problem solved, I found an extra wireless card and installed it. Network is now complete.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice