1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN and ICS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kazbear, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazbear

kazbear Thread Starter

I have a 2 computer network. Both with XP home. One computer is connected to DSL with an internal modem. The 2 computers are networked with a simple hub. So, computer number 2 accesses the internet using ICS.

Now, I have my work Laptop (Windows 200). I connect it to the hub, and with a few changes, I can access the internet. On this laptop, I am running Nortel VPN Client (V4.65). When I try to connect, it says remote host not responding. I assume the VPN client cant figure out how to get to the internet.

(Currently, until I figure this out, I am not running a firewall...)
    What should I try? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    -kaz

2. eurodat

eurodat

Did you install the VPN before the PC was part of your current LAN?

I did however find the following remarks which may be relevant

There is a misconception about ICS (Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing).
    This product doesn't just share the connection, it also acts a little like a firewall as it blocks all ports <1024. Since Winvnc runs on 5900. then yes it is blocked from the Internet, but the internal adapter can still accept connections as it isn't blocked. There are ways to open the ports, but it requires registry editing to accomplish this. See Microsoft's support web site for more info (search string "ports blocked ics")

3. kazbear

kazbear Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I did install the VPN software before connecting it o the network.

You pointed me to MS which gave me some more hints. One thing I was told was to open ports 50 and 500. With your post I was able to figure out how to do that. However, it still did not work.

I got some other feedback saying: ICS does not support IPSec passthru.

This tells me it can't be done? Not sure what IPSec passthrough means. But, to solve my issue, I am being pointed to a hardware solution with a router.

I saw a diagram on the net somewhere showing my exact setup, but did not give any hints on how to make it work.

Thanks again for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice