1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN and internet sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jghost5, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

Hi all, we use a software vpn tunnel to access a clients server over the internet.

But when we log on to the VPN tunnell we lose our ability to access email and other web pages whilst connected.

Is there a someway in Windows XP and 98 to allow VPN connectivity and web activity at same time?

Thanks in advance, J

2. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

3. scottosan

scottosan

I'm pretty sure that you would need an external VPN Concentrator. IF the network that you are VPN'ing to filters web access, then you are out of luck.

4. kaufmans

kaufmans

I have had some fun with this myself. I am not a guru on this but this might be of help.

Is the computer you are connecting to on a lan inside a company that has a firewall? If so the firewall my be preventing your access to external sites.

I know I have this problem when I vpn to work I cannot send email through my POP3 client because the firewall is blocking something.

When I drop my vpn I sometimes have to close my browser and re open it to get my machine pointing back to the right places.

Don't know if this is of any help or not.

5. jghost5

jghost5 Thread Starter

Everything is of help. One puts all the advice together and comes to a solution. Will keep this in mind, thanks. J

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice