1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN and WinXp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pito, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pito

pito Thread Starter

Hi guys
    I have a computer (win xp pro) connected to Internet with a high speed connection through cable. I was trying to set up a VPN server and when I defined the ip addresses (192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150) I could not browse the net, I lost my connection... if I leave the option "using DHCP ..... " nothing happens with the internet connection but my friend can not connect to my pc getting error 733.
    I have a real IP address, no router, no firewall......
    can anybody help me.....
    thanks in advance
    Pito

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are directly connected to the Internet, then I think you are doing to need second network card. Without more detailed information about how the server, client and network is configured, it is tough to give more detailed suggestions.

3. Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

BOBBBBBByyyyyyyyy.... long time eh?

taken anymore dives lately?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

5. Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

kick arse!! going to go do my final jump in a week or so, going to video tape it for the kids. Wife is deadset against it.... heh.. what's new about that? :D

6. pito

pito Thread Starter

Hi Bob
    I did everything I found in your site in the vpn server side and in the vpn client side.
    Both computer are running win xp pro, connected directly to internet one through cable modem and the second one dsl modem, both pc-s have only one netwotk card. We want to have the VPN over internet to secure transfer files, it is just like a test...

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The only way I've done it is with either two network cards or one with a DSL router. Never tried it with only a direct Internet connection and no local LAN IP addresses.

For this reason I'm not sure how using something like "192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150" would work since that scheme is not running on the VPN server.

And SpiritWalker..what exactly do you mean by "going to go do my final jump in a week or so". Not a good thing so say in skydiving unless you are planning on something fairly dramatic ;-)

8. pito

pito Thread Starter

I thought i have to have a second network card or something like that to be able to do that... thanks for your help!!!!

9. matrix1000

matrix1000

well a VPN is just a tunnel through IP.... If you have a public IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and you want to create a VPN to another IP of yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy the VPN hardware or software will send encryped data through the vpn only when it tries to connect to yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy.
    The VPN tunnel ends must be defined as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy.
    This may mean that xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy ARE THE CABLE MODEMS ACTUAL IP NOT YOUR PC'S IP ADDRESS. the cable modem gives you a PRIVATE IP usually 192.168.x.x

( also be aware that private IP addresses such as 192.168.x.x and 10.192.x.x are not routable meaning traffic with that address WILL NOT pass though a router UNLESS it is through a VPN tunnel... your modem is like a little router)

So for instance if I had a firewall or Cable modem at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and my "private" IP address of my pc BEHIND the firewall was 192.168.1.2 and I wanted to connect through the VPN tunnel to a firewall at yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy to a computer BEHIND that firewall/cablemodem... for one, the address of that remote pc has cannot have the same network address... it must be something like 192.168.1.3 or 192.168.2.2 etc. Also Set the vpn tunnel end addresses to the address of the Modems not the PC's.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

My understanding what that was one of the problems with cable modems. They actually give you the public IP address that is directly accessable to the Internet. There is no internal set of LAN IP addresses like you would get with a DSL router.

For example, when I connect directly to mine, I get an address of "24.16.x.x", not my usual 192.168.1.2 (which is given by the cable router)

11. pito

pito Thread Starter

Exactly Bob, mine is 24.x.x.x too and my friend has something like that (public IP address), we have tried several times and every time i set the ip poll I can not browse, ping, anything....
    can I simulate a second network card? with a private IP? I tried an alternative IP address but same thing happened....

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Kinda figured that was the case. Again, never tried it without either a second network card or a DSL/Cable router. My reference would be the router since it will also keep you from having a computer directly connected to the Internet.

13. pito

pito Thread Starter

Thank you Bob
    I will get a router...

14. pito

pito Thread Starter

Hi Bob
    I installed the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" from add new hardware wizzard and it works as a virtual network card, I set its ip as 192.168.0.1 and finally I could set the IP poll (192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.150) in the VPN server without loosing my internet connection, we will try the vpn conection later this evening

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice