1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN at work and home issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ianhaney, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ianhaney

ianhaney Thread Starter

Hi

I have set up a VPN at my office and all is ok there as I managed to finally get connected to the server PC from my work PC in the same office, at the office I have talk talk broadband now I am at home and trying to connect to the server PC at the office but having issues, I have left the server PC on at the office, we are on sky broadband at home and keeps coming up with error 800, just seeing if anyone could help or point me in the right direction please

Thank you in advance

Ian

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you open up the VPN ports in the router/firewall at work?

3. ianhaney

ianhaney Thread Starter

Hi Triple6

Thank you for the reply

Yeah I opened them in the router settings at work via the port forwarding, is that right?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What port did you forward and did you forwarded it to the correct IP or computer name?

What is the router model? Is there a server at work? Do you have IT and permission to setup the VPN?

5. ianhaney

ianhaney Thread Starter

If I remember it was port 1723 and I forwarded it to the IPv4 address of the computer

not 100% of the router model, it is a talk talk technicolor white one, It is my own business, is that what you mean by permission

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes thats what I mean, employees should never setup a VPN without permission unless they want to get fired or charged.

The exact model of the router would be useful and if there are more devices such as modems and hardware firewalls then those models as well. Also do you have a software firewall on your computer? What type of server do you have at the office? Windows 7, Windows 2008, 2008 R2, Server 2012, Linux, etc?

7. ianhaney

ianhaney Thread Starter

that's it, but na all is ok as is my own business and own office

I just found the model, it is a talk talk technicolor tg582n pro router

I don't have any software firewall on the PC at the office, I did have to open the firewall on the router settings

I have Windows 7 on the computer

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. ianhaney

ianhaney Thread Starter

yeah that's it, am running the VPN on windows 7

I found them links earlier when was looking it up on how to do it, I just wonder if I should of enabled IPv6 as well as only got IPv4 checked, how do I know if my home PC will be coming in via IPv6 network and not IPv4

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    IPv4 is what you want to be using.

11. ianhaney

ianhaney Thread Starter

Ok cool got it as IPv4 already so that's good, am doing one thing right haha

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. ianhaney

ianhaney Thread Starter

Thank you for the link, appreciate it, have looked through it and is really helpful guide

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice