1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN browsing issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MyeyesHurt, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MyeyesHurt

MyeyesHurt Thread Starter

Hey all,

I've got a problem here. My users are coming into our NT Domain via a Cisco 3015 VPN.

Once connected, they can see all the computers on the domain, BUT, they can only access shares on a few of them. With the rest of the computers, they get the error "Network path cannot be found.

WINS problem? WINS seems to be going to them fine...well seems to be, because 'net view' shows all the computers, plus, all the computers are visible in network neighborhood. BUT, they cannot ping them using their netBIOS names, just with th ip addresses.

So I was thinking that it may be a problem with the VPN itself. But going through a ton of explanation with Cisco, they end up telling me that it's a Microslop problem.

And after spending hours running through the maze that Microslop calls 'technical support', I've still come up with nada.
    So as I'm searching through Microslop, trying to find even more dead-ends, I'm hoping some of you could come up with some thoughts.

Tenkyoubellymuch,
    ~J:D

2. Scully

Scully

A shot in the dark........

Have the clients enabled netbios over tcp/ip?

Cheers,

Scully

3. MyeyesHurt

MyeyesHurt Thread Starter

Yeah, that's the thing. It's all enabled, as far as I can see, it should be working like a charm...which it does, but only to five out of the thirty computers here.

And there doesn't seem to be any consistency that I've found yet when it comes to the computers able to be accessed and the rest.

The five acessible ones are: 1-Clean install Win2000; 2-Win2000 upgraded from NT4.0; and 2-NT 4.0 machines

And the unaccessible ones are a mix of the same setups. And aside from two with relatively tight security, the rest have had no abnormal security changes.

So thanks for the shot in the dark, but I'm still fumbling for the light switch.
    ;)

4. Scully

Scully

No wonder your eyes hurt.......

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice