1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN Configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by James7545, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James7545

James7545 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I have with getting a VPN to work. A friend of mine wants to be able to share his Outlook 2007 Business Contact Manager Database with remote PC's. I've set up the Office Computer to allow incoming connections and configured the router to accept incoming connections over the internet. I can establish a connection from the client computers but cannot acces any of the shared files etc. Below are some settings that may help.

BT Voyager 220v Router
    LAN IP 192.*****
    WAN IP 86.*****
    Office PC IP 192.*****
    Primary DNS 194.*****
    Secondary DNS 62.****
    I've set the LAN IP as the DMZ host and enabled Port Forwarding to the Office PC. I've also opened up port 1723 (which I believe needs to be opened for VPN connections to work?)

The client uses 86.180.149.35 to connect to the Office and this works fine. Is there something fundamental that I am missing here?

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Thanks in advance.

James

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Might be a good idea to edit out your IP from your post. The 220V should be up to the job but it's firewall settings may need a tweak or three, as could the firewall in the host PC.

3. James7545

James7545 Thread Starter

Good idea - thanks for that!!!

Hmmm??? I don't think the router has any firewall settings, I'll double check tomorrow. The host PC uses Windows Firewall and I've enabled all that I think I need to enable. I was wondering if I need to install WINS or something. There's also a setting for Dynamic DNS on the router but I think they have to subscribe. Would that be the problem do you think?

Thanks for your help

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I thought the 220V had a firewall and NAT settings but it's all been rather along time :D That said, it will still be a valid piece of equipment so don't consign it to landfill yet.

You already have a dymanic DNS by default but a static DNS is a waste of money in my opinion although you can wait for others if you prefer. I've found it's pretty hard to shake off the dynamic address once you've got it, even having turned one router off for a fortnight I still got the old IP address back when I switched on and went back online.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does that mean that you can use the VPN from a remote computer and "see" the shared folders and files on each host computer, but access is denied when you try to read or write a file?

What is an example or two of "etc."?

6. James7545

James7545 Thread Starter

No, sorry I didn't make myself very clear. I can establish the VPN connection from the remote computer and the username shows up on the Incoming Connections icon on the host. The problem is that I can't see any of the shared files or ping the computer name or any IP addresses on the office network. I'm just wondering if there's any further config I have to do on the router or the host?

Thanks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I haven't played around with VPNs and am hesitant to say much here, 'cause I may be way off base.

With a VPN connection do you have to have an actual host computer? Forward the appropriate port(s) through the router to the computer that is the "target" of the VPN? Or does the VPN act to make the remote computer be connected to the LAN as if it is a local computer?

8. James7545

James7545 Thread Starter

With my limited knowledge of VPN's I believe that you designate a computer to be the VPN Server. With the router I had to set up a DMZ host and then forward the ports to the VPN server which I did. To be honest I don't know too much about routers and got a bit confused about the LAN and WAN IP's. I played about with it a lot and there is only 1 configuration that allows the remote connection. As I said before the VPN Server computer shows client connections in the Incoming Connections icon but I can't seem to be able to access any of the shared resources. Infuriating to say the least!! I guess I'll just have to play around a bit more? I don't think it's a firewall issue as I've opened up the necessary ports and applications to be allowed through.

Happy days!!!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, I think I understand a little better. (I hope.) It sounds like you are definitely getting through the internet and through the router to the host computer. Then what are you supposed to do? Login to the host? Is the host not sending any kind of confirmation back to the remote computer that the connection has been completed?

10. James7545

James7545 Thread Starter

When I connect from the client computer it goes through the authentication process and says that the process is successfull. There is then a notification icon stating that the client is connected. The host computer shows the user is connected but I can't see any of the shares in My Network Places or map any drives. I'm also unable to ping the computer name of the host which led me to believe that I may need to set up WINS or something like that? I just can't understand why I can't see the Network shares!? :mad:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice