1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN connection/caching profile??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rgardeck, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgardeck

rgardeck Thread Starter

Scenario: I am trying to hook my laptop up through a VPN so that I can work from out of my office. I start my computer and the login screen pops up. In the past, i was able to just use my domain password to get into windows, then connect via VPN so i could get my outlook email and browse my company's network. Now, just today, when i start my computer and try to log into windows, it says my password is invalid and i should contact my system admin. Is this a problem with the way win xp caches the profile? Maybe there is a time limit that xp will keep a profile cached?
    I have to dial-up using the VPN, so, the password isnt looking at the domain because my laptop isn't connected to anything until i pull up the vpn.

Please help.

PS= I am the network admin!!!!!!!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Usually I only see this on newly built PC's or PC's that you have not logged onto for the first time.

From time to time I have seen this occur even on windows NT machines but have never seen "why".

Do you run your VPN as a service? If so have you thoughts about trying to log onto your PC as Adnmin to the PC VPNing in and then logging on as your Domain user ID and password.

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Windows Domain password cache on the C:\ drive so the user can log in while NOT connected to the backbone of the network. However, if you have changed your password while connected to the backbone and did not log in with the new password while connected, the cached password would still be your old password on the client machine.

Hope this makes sense.

To answer your question though, passwords do not cache in the user's profile so whether or not you have caching enabled for the profile share, it shouldn't make a difference.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/344850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice