Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
767 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  zx10guy 
#1 ·
Good morning,

Presently I am assisting an organization go remote with everything happening right now. Normally, individuals apart of the organization could only use the computers on site of their office building (where they also have a server) because the computers are only structured to allow them to access folders and so forth on site. The goal now is to help them with being able to use their work computers from home and still be able to access files from the server.
That being said, I went ahead and I established a VPN connection between the server and a test computer, I initially tried using the computer on site with the Ethernet connection provided and the VPN connection was made but sending and receiving of files was not working. I then took the test computer off site and tried to connect to the server via the VPN, and I got an error "The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly".

Does anybody know how i can deal with this situation?

#2 ·
The goal now is to help them with being able to use their work computers from home and still be able to access files from the server.
I don't have the knowledge or experience to help much with this, but have a question. Does "use their work computers from home" mean to login to them remotely or does it mean to physically take the computers to their respective homes?

I initially interpreted this to be the former, but since you are trying to VPN from computer to server makes me infer the latter.

#4 ·
So, the VPN system you purchased has a host program that runs on the server and a client that runs on each computer, right? Did any instructions and troubleshooting hints come with the system? (Maybe these questions are just proving my lack of VPN knowledge.)

#5 ·
I understand your desire to help. But it's clear you don't have experience doing something such as this. A project for a business or organization requires specific experience to ensure the solution is implemented properly. I'm not trying to be condescending.

The first thing which is a no no and I'm inferring from the information you've provided so far. You never ever directly expose a Windows box to the Internet. You would have to do this to facilitate the box at the office as the VPN server. I'm assuming this is a Windows box due to your desire to set up L2TP which is typically what is used on a Windows box being set up as a VPN server.

The quick and dirty way to get them up and running is to have them use a solution such as Teamviewer. I just looked on their website and their product supports file sharing to remote devices. This organization may have to pay for the subscription version to gain access to features or multiple simultaneous connections. But from what I saw on their website, the cost is extremely reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.