VPN Feature query?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

new2networking

Hello all,
I am looking to buy a router with VPN Feature. I would be configuring either Client-to-Gateway VPN Tunnels or Gateway-to-Gateway VPN Tunnels. Now the problem is I don’t know how to find out if a router is capable of configuring both VPN Tunnels by seeing the specification in the manufactures web site. And can VPN Feature: IPsec pass-through be considered as a sign that the router is capable of configuring both VPN Tunnles? Please Help me find the VPN Feature that would confirm that the router is capable of configuring both VPN Tunnels or any one.

Thank you

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No. A router listing IPSEC/VPN pass through is not a sign of the router being able to do VPN connections. All the IPSEC pass through does is to have the firewall pre-configured to allow VPN type communication through it. For IPSEC, you need to allow UDP port 500, IP port 50, IP port 51, UDP port 4500, and in some cases UDP port 10000.

If a router can act as a VPN end point/server, it will say so. Here's an excerpt from one of Netgear's VPN end point routers which lists things in its spec showing IPSEC support:

IPsec-based 56-bit (DES) 168-bit (3DES), or 256-bit (AES) encryption algorithm
MD5 or SHA-1 hashing algorithm
ESP support
PKI features with X.509 v.3 certificate support
remote access VPN (client-to-site), site-to-site VPN
IPsec NAT traversal (VPN passthrough)
Two-factor authentication support

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online