1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN Link between Main and Branch Office > HELP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by helixcs, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helixcs

helixcs Thread Starter

I have one office with a 2K3 small business server, 9 nodes and getting broadband
    via router with built in firewall.

Another branch office is opening soon, that will have a 8 more nodes (computer) and
    again this office will have its own ADSL connection via a router.

I want to have it so, users in the new office van VPN on to the 2K3 small business server and operate as if they were sitting in the main office.

What is the best setup/good piece of kit to use for this purpose?

I take it I will need a VPN router and some VPN client software on the PC’s?

Can anyone recommend me some products?

Thanks for any help and assistance.

PS:- I am quite new to VPN, but know about OWA and OWW

EN4

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If you want the entire office to act as though its one big LAN then really all you need is VPN routers on both sides to create a VPN connection. Then anything on the new site will be an "offshoot" of your existing LAN and you can frely share resources between the 2.

Just remember if the connection drops and you have it as a domain type setting Site 2 may have problems if they don't have their own server.

3. helixcs

helixcs Thread Starter

Cheers for that StumpedT

With x2 VPN routers on either side, i won't need any client VPN software running on the clienst for them to connect?
    or

Is it just an always on connection between either site ?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Depends on the hardware you get (if your doing it hardware based and not server based). THeres whats called an always on connection and another on demand connection. I perfer always on to on demand myself.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The whole point of the VPN router is to take the functionality of the tunnel off of the client computers. The VPN routers should handle the whole thing for you.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The only client VPN software you may require would be any software on laptops.

laptops outside of the 2 offices that need to connect in that is.

7. helixcs

helixcs Thread Starter

Cheers guys

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice