1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN not working for all users on our network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by evo22, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Windows 2003 Enterprise Server setup with WAN L2TP and PPTP. Some of my users can logon no problem and others can only sometimes. I have 32 L2TP and 32 PPTP ports open for my users.

What can I do to resolve this issue? I took one of my end users laptop home and tried connecting and was unable to authenticate. When I tried with my computer it didn't work either. However...the night before we both could logon from home? What could be causing this?:confused: Could it be our firewalled router?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Just a lil more info. when the user tries to logon to our VPN....he enters his user and pass the box pops up indicating username and password are being verified and stops with a messages that says server timed out. So, it seams like the it times out before he can be authenticated.

3. wisdum

wisdum

As i recall, their is a setting for "slow connection" which increases the time-out time.

Also, (and its been awhile since i used windows vpn) i remember each client using multiple ports, are you sure you have enough open connections for all the users?

Your server is behind a router/firewall, does it have a limited number of congruent connections to the server?

my solution: www.smoothwall.org :D

wis

4. CALPOLY

CALPOLY

so is this a firewall issue?

I'd like to know more because at my job, we access different docking stations on our network and sometimes we cant connect to them cuz of VPN being down....so i like to know more about this problem and what causes it.

THANX!

5. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I will check into the time out settings and my routers. I will keep you posted as to the out come.

Once again thanks!

6. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Can tell me where I'd find this setting? I looked and can't seem to find anything of that sort?

Thank you....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice