1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vpn Probs Sorted But Not I Cant Ping Or Browse Network Shares By Name

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raz, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raz

raz Thread Starter

Hi Again

After all that hoohaa early this morning sorting out the error 733 problems, i have come down to earth with a bump. And need your help.

Having established the vpn connection successfully, I cant seem to connect to nework share even on the vpn server. I cant ping by computer name but can by ip address.

After reading post on this site and research on the internet. The only workarround to achieve this is to assign a static ip address thru dhcp reservations and to manually edit the lmhosts file to map to computer name. i cant find any other solution.

Surely there must be an easier way to do this?? any ideas on how to do this properly?

Cheers
    Raz

2. O111111O

O111111O

WINS server, or DNS server.....

Just make LMHost entries, it's not that bad.

3. raz

raz Thread Starter

how do i do that? can you tell me how to do that..all three methods...

thanks
    Raz

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can ping by IP but not Name with VPN, you might try adding the IP address and computer name to both the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files on the client. This can also help with browsing as well.

5. raz

raz Thread Starter

thanks Bob as always...will try that on tuesday.

In the meantime...will reserving the ip in dhcp and setting up mapped network drives based on ip eg \\10.0.0.5\my documents. my document is of course shared with appropriate permissions...are there any disadvantages to doing it this way?

Cheers
    Raz

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If mapping by IP works, and there aren't that many to remember, then it should be fine. Might want to use quotes around any shared directories with spaces just to be sure.

7. raz

raz Thread Starter

Wow that was quick Bob....I.ve just remoted in thru vnc, set lmhosts and hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc as per attached...not sure if i am doing it right..please can you check as i still cant ping even after a reboot

if all else fails i'll just go ahead and reserve the ips and map network drives as per post before but i would really like to get it to work...and not let computers get the better of me :)
    Cheers
    Raz

Attached Files:

8. raz

raz Thread Starter

please can you clarify..i think i have a fair idea wat you are talking about but just to be sure need some clarification

Cheers Bob

Raz

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What are the IP address for? The VPN server? Other computers on the remote network?

And the files are being edited on the VPN client?

10. raz

raz Thread Starter

the ip addresses are for two xphome machine which act as file servers, (one of which also act as the vpn server) on the remote network.

the files are being edited on the vpn server...should the client be edited?

maybe i'll give that a go and see what happens

Cheers

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It is the VPN Client that is trying to connect so that is the one that needs the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files changed.

You need to add in the IP address and computer name of at least the VPN server (if that is the one you can't ping by name but can ping by IP).

12. raz

raz Thread Starter

Bob my man..you're the best!!!! It worked..but me thinks i will still have to reserve the ip addresses of the servers.

Cheers once again Bob...if you are ever in london UK...look me up and i will buy you the biggest pint you have ever seen :)

Keep up the good work
    Raz

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

All you really need to do on the servers is make sure their LAN IP addresses and names don't change.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/414055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice