1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN quest. with netgear firewall router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MN_N8VTech, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech Thread Starter

Ive done a search on VPN info. here but my question is pretty specific. I actaully have 2 questions. First; I bought a netgear FVS318 firewall router for a very small business. They dont have anyservers just a main computer with file sharing. I need to hook up all the computers (4 total) to internet through the router and then provide VPN access for 1. Do I need seperate software for that, or can I set it up through the XP network wizard? Netgears site isnt too clear on it. Secondly, (and I think this is more basic than Im thinking,I just forgot) when I have all the computers plugged into the router can I set up file sharing between all of them? All but 1 will have xp,the other will have 98. Oh one more thing, is the router(or any router) auto sensing for the cables, or do I need specific cables,right now 2 of the computers are connected with crossover cables,but someone told me once that the cable didnt matter that the router would set the cable to what it needs to be. ????

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

3. MN_N8VTech

Ok that works,there will only ever be 1 incoming at any time,at least for now. So I wont need additional software from netgear? You can only have 1 incoming EVER?

4. coulterp

coulterp

I don't believe you require further software from Netgear for VPN with this model. The Netgear site claims the device "... supports up to 50 ISec VPN tunnels simultaneously ...". There is a Netgear VPN Client for Windows platforms at extra cost (if that is what you are referring to), but if your requirements are met by the XP in-built, then why go for the extra expenditure! :)

Enable "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" on the LAN connection on each PC and you'll be able to share files and folders OK. (Having enabled "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks", you need to then set "sharing" in the properties of the folders you cant to share.)

You should be OK on the cable front. Most of Netgears current crop of router/switches, etc., " ... incorporates Auto UplinkTM technology" -- words from the fvs328_manual_1009.pdf, so check out yours to be sure.

5. MN_N8VTech

I still need to know if the computers can be connected with file sharing etc through the router. Basically,one computer will act as a server for one program,and the others need to access that. that is possible through the router right?

6. coulterp

coulterp

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice