1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StoneRyno, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I have a shared folder on my home PC. Today I ran into a situation where it would have been nice to be able to access that while I was away from the house. From what I gather the best way to do that is with a VPN. This as far as I gather would let my tablet mount that share as a drive like it does at home but when I'm way from the house. If this is correct then I need to know what VPN I need to get. Since I know nothing about VPNs. I'd prefer not to pay too much to do this if there are no quality enough opensource or free option to use. After all this is a more or less singular and infrequent use case that I am considering it for. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks. Oh and hopefully this is the right section to ask this in.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If it's simple file access which sounds like it's not very frequent, have you looked at any of the cloud providers like DropBox?

3. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

Unfortunately it is a bit more than I think using something like that would cover for this. Mainly the amount of files, something like 100GB of pictures, documents, and whatnot. I don't have the room on my tablet to keep copies of them which is why I originally setup the shared folder on my desktop PC to store the stuff instead and mount it as a drive on my tablet so that I could access and work with the files just like as if that was a 2nd hard drive on the tablet. Allowing me the freedom to leave the room the PC is in and do stuff with those files. Everything on my tablet is setup to access the files through that mounted as a drive setup so I figured the best way to go was to make it so that the share can, when needed, be accessed when I'm not at home through the way things are already setup.

4. Stanr691

Stanr691

Logmein Hamachi would work. It's free if you only have a couple of machines.

5. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

Ah I remember using hamachi some time go for playing old LAN multiplayer games. I installed it and followed the directions. Once I was able to create a network (I had no choice but to link to an account first) I created a client owned network. According to the help I manage it from the PC I create the network on. The network created successfully but when I try to join the network on my tablet I get password rejected evn though I'm 100% sure the password is correct since I just created the network. Which leads me to needing to delete the network and start over. However there is absolutely nowhere I can find to edit and/or delete that network. When choosing manage networks it opens a web page and the network is not there. This is because it is not the type that was made from the website so it is not supposed to show up there. What do I do to fix this? I want the network name and password to be what it is but since I already created it I assume I can't make it again from the website without it telling me the name already exists. Can I start over from scratch as if I never did anything other than created the logmein account? So it is as if the network was never made?

6. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I was able to add it through the web interface with the name I wanted and both PC and tablet are on the VPN. I'll have to test to make sure I'm able to access the share on my PC next time I'm out of the house. I guess that client owned network I created will just be some bit of data in limbo on the PC.

7. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

Mom and dad invited me over for dinner tonight so I was able to test it out. Hamachi worked perfectly. For anyone else who is looking to do what I did just avoid trying client owned setup and use the website to add the VPN. It was the only problem I ran into.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice