1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN Remote Desktop Connection win98 to win2000 server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ozegirl, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

I have installed Microsoft VPN connection on my WIN98SE laptop and have a successful VPN connection to the Win 2000 server at my work.

However step 2 is to connect (log on to server) using Remote Desktop Connection - this always times out.

Is there a trick to get WIN98 to connect to Win2000 using remote desktop connection or is this only possible if one of the computers is XP?

All settings are correct as I can connect from XP laptop to 2000 server using same settings.

I really want to be able to do it from the 98 laptop as the other is in constant use by my husband.

The remote desktop works if connected in to office network so it is all installed OK - just can't get from the VPN connection to the server interface using the remote desktop connection.

Please note: this is NOT a problem with admin rights or firewalls as I am getting through from the XP machine.

Any ideas?

2. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

After seeing some more Microsoft articles on the subject, I've come to the conclusion that at least either the server or the client has to be XP for RDC to work and that for 98 client to 2000 server Terminal Services Client is the appropriate software, but this requires licencing both for the server and the client.

Correct?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice