VPN/Router/Connecting and Disconnecting issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Benoit23

Okay so this is becoming very frustrating and I didn't realize it may be my work computer causing all my issues until I started noticing it happening at multiple locations (homes) I've used it.

Here is what is happening...

I have a work computer that is required to connect via a vpn (uses a Cisco any connect secure mobility client). I connect it to the wifi at a house and and able to work and everything seems great, all other devices working just fine too. But then it seems with over time it gets to the point where all the devices connected to wifi/router starts connecting and disconnecting. At first I thought it was the Internet at the first place I was at, but then I started to notice a trend at multiple locations and realized it couldn't be coincidence.

Basically all the devices do this constant disconnect and connect over and over unless I get off all devices except my work computer (connected to the vpn) then it will work just fine. But as soon as I connect back to the wifi on my phone and try to use it they both start connecting and disconnecting again.

Once I get off my work computer and disconnect from the Vpn and Internet then all other devices work just fine and I can have multiple connected at once just as I always have been able to.

I have no clue how to fix this, or what the deal is. I also don't get why it seems to take a couple days of connecting via my work computer until it starts having this problem. For the first several days all seems fine. It's like after awhile the router gets all confused by the multiple devices or Vpn or something and goes hay wire.

Hoping somebody can help and sorry if I didn't provide enough info. Let me know what more could help.

I haven't tried connecting my work computer via Ethernet chord and then seeing if I can continue using other devices via wifi. May try that just to see if it changes anything.

Thanks,

Benoit23

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried updating the firmware on your router? On the surface I can't think of a reason why you're seeing that behavior. I also use Any Connect as a VPN option to get into my home network but I don't leave the tunnel up for more than say an hour at a time if I do use it. I typically use my SonicWall SSL VPN setup.

My employer also uses SonicWall SSL VPN for us to connect into the corporate network. I've had the VPN up for about 24 hours at a time if I don't reset the inactivity termination which kicks in at 10 hours.

The best guess I have for why your router is being affected is if some how the duration of the session table for the VPN session is causing issues with the router adding and deleting other sessions.

Benoit23

Thank you for the response. I am going to attempt to update the firmware as that has been suggested by a few of my friends as well but this is not my house (just staying for a bit so I need to get the username and password to log into the "routerlogin.com" to be able to do it.

As far as the session tables, is that anything I can adjust to possibly solve the issue? I am not familiar with exactly what that does, if it's adjustable, or if is adjustable, if I'll even be able to do being that it is a work computer and I have no access to admin and am pretty limited to changes I can make.

Thanks again!

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The session tables I'm talking about are with the firewall/router. For SOHO devices, these are absolutely unadjustable. I have SMB/Enterprise class firewall devices in my home network and I don't think I've ever had the need to adjust anything related to those operations of the firewall. I haven't even checked to see if I can even make adjustments. Typically those things are fixed based on the hardware and the software of the firewall. That's why I suggested a firmware update as there are bug fixes done to address weird behaviors like this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts