1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN stops internet & email in Win XP Pro

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chrisbyrd, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd Thread Starter

Hi there.

I'm trying to set up a VPN between WinXP Pro and Win2k Server. The winXP pro PC is connected to the internet via windows ICS on another XP pro PC. With me so far???

The VPN connects up fine and I can share files, print etc. - i've got no problem with that atall. The problem is that internet & email access on the winXP PC stop as soon as the VPN connection is established.

I've spent hours on microsoft's website and they say 'its by design'. Apparently all the packets are routed through the VPN (incluing normal internet access).

Is there any way to set it up that allows internet, email & VPN to work at once? I dont want to run internet and email over the VPN if possible.

Thanks for your time :)

2. Rockn

Rockn

That's the way it's supposed to work. You might want to try a multi homed setup with 2 NIC's and just have the VPN running on the second NIC. Unless you can set up the VPN tunnel as a gateway for all of those services then you are out of luck. If there was a mail server and internet gateway on the other end of the VPN it would probably work for you.

I am assuming you are using the VPN client from Microsoft. I have used others and you can do anything you want as the VPN client knows which traffic is supposed to go over the tunnell and which is unsecure.

3. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd Thread Starter

thanks for the info

could you tell me a couple of progs that will let me do this?

thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice