1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VPN troubles

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lvenable, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lvenable

Lvenable Thread Starter

I Have Microsoft Server 2003 and a laptop with Xp pro. I recently setup a VPN on the laptop using software provided by sonicwall which is the type of firewall we are using. Once the user has the laptop home she is prompted to login as normal and does so without any problems. Once logged in She is not able to access the network resources. She gets an error message which says access denied. She is having to use remote desktop and connect to another computer after business hours when the computer is not being utilized. However, I need her to be able to access the network anytime she needs using her own computer. Any help will be greatly appreciated :confused:

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

If I remember right, connecting to the sonicwall VPN doesn't necessarily grant any M$ network permissions. You need to tie the VPN authentication to the M$ authentication in order to get that to happen.

Or, you need two levels of authentication, VPN, then M$ network... Been too long since we'd played with that stuff in our lab...

-Scott

3. NoTongue

NoTongue

DOMAIN set correctly?

4. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

I'm not familiar with Sonic Firewalls but you might want to check the Firewall's access lists.

5. Lvenable

Lvenable Thread Starter

Great Suggestions. However, I am not sure how to tie the VPN authentication to the MS authentication or how to check the access list. Can you please give me instructions?

6. 5mi11er

5mi11er

The instructions on how to tie the sonicwall authentication to the M$ authentication should be part of the sonicwall documentation...

7. Rockn

Rockn

Never had a problem and never needed the authentication through a SonicWall VPN. All that is needed is that once the tunnel is created your remote user looks like part of the remote private network and then you can browse any network resources. There should have been an export file you need to get from the firewall to apply the security settings and encryption key to the client and this should take care of any configuration on the client end.

8. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Once the VPN connection is established, if the M$ authentication isn't included, you also need to login to the domain. Usually the VPN service has a way to tie the two together so you don't have to go through the process of logging into both. I'm not even sure how to bring up a "connect to domain" dialog once the VPN connection is made...

9. Lvenable

Lvenable Thread Starter

I did enter the encryption key and also exported a file. Once the sonicwall VPN software is installed an icon is placed on the task bar this indicates whether or not you are actually connected to network. Once signed on I do get the icon which means that I am connected. I just get the error saying access denied, once I do try to open any network resources. So I believe the connection is already establish now its just a permission thing

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice