1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vsmon error, then explorer is gone

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by brite750, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Has anyone else seen this, when trying to open Inetexplorer, you cannot get on, so you reboot your pc and get "vsmon error", when pc restarts you cannot run win because in task mgr explorer is gone, systray only. Vsmon is part of Zonealarm so I have to uninstall in safe mode to get pc running again, this is annoying to say the least. Question?, should I not be running later versions of ZA, because this didn't happen with earlier ver of ZA, or is different Firewall software better with 98SE, or what.

vsmon - vsmon.exe - Process Information
    Process File: vsmon or vsmon.exe
    Process Name: True Vector Internet Monitor
    Description: The True Vector Internet Monitor is a component of the ZoneAlarm Personal FireWall which monitors internet traffic and generates alerts
    Common Errors: N/A
    System Process: No

2. BillC

BillC

What version of Zone Alarm are you using? Did this problem come as a result of an upgrade? I have heard that earlier versions of ZA do in fact work better with Windows 98.

You may be aware that W98 is only supported by Microsoft until next January, once they stop supporting it most software companies will start dropping support also, including ZA. You could d/l an older version and that might fix your problem.

Hope this helps.

3. mobo

mobo

If you don't have any success with ZA then try Kerio which is just as good at stealthing your connection..

4. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

I'll try running a version I have from 2002 to see if that helps, I have every version from like 3 or 4 years ago when i got rr. I'll look into Kerio too, thanks. Yeah, us 98 people are going to be left to our own devices. Thanks for the memories, Billy G.

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

What with windows 98 and 98 SE being by far the most widely used of all the Windows platforms, it would not surprise me if it got yet another extension in it's (support) life.

6. bandit429

bandit429

NItehawk I hope your right,,not for me but lots of other ppl,,,,xp is so slow using dialup,,,and there are so many ppl that cannot get access to anything else. At least you can bump 98 up a bit and get faster loading of webpages,,,I never had any success trying to do that with xp.

7. mobo

mobo

Xp need much more memory to load pages faster than any of the other systems including w2k..

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I don't use XP, but I have been told by two different people that XP will support at least 2 gig of RAM (if not more).

This begs the question WHY?? :confused:

9. mobo

mobo

Actually is supports the same amount as w2k which is 4 gig..

10. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

That would make sense since XP is built on the W2K platform.

What ever happened to when Bill told us that 640K was all we would ever need? :)

11. mobo

mobo

The need for adware , virus, popup and other protective scanners done away with all that..

12. bandit429

bandit429

HAHAHAHAHAHA,,,,,so very true LOL:D

13. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Actually, I think it was Windows. We didn't need all those things before windows either.

And what we did need all fit on a neatly on a 360K floppy.
    But then again, that's when we had tight code!!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice