1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vss backing old version of files?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hqnet, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

Hi,

I just ran into this issue: I'm using GFI Backup 2009 home edition and I had to restore an .xls file created in OpenOffice.
    To my surprise the last backup, done yesterday w/o errors, holds a copy that is 5 days old... It would appear that as the file had been in use and locked the program kept backing up a pre-locking version.

Is that possible? Is that the way vss is supposed to work? (if it doesn't seem very useful...)

TIA

2. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

bump...

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

How is VSS associated with your backup software? I don't understand.

VSS by default makes a backup whenever a file is deleted or a System Restore Point created. It backs up current files, including those that are in use or otherwise "locked".

4. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

Hi,
    The backup software in use is one of those who triggers a 'vss snapshot' right before performing the backup. So I assume that when a file is locked vss makes a copy of the file in its current state and the GFi backs up that copy.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, OK, some of them do use VSS for a "snapshot" so that changes during the making of the snapshot are not shown in the backup itself.

But that would mean that it backs up the current files. What makes you think they are older? Are you going by dates?

6. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

The backup runs daily, yet the date and the contents of the file I had to recover where five days old in the most recent backup. Also, the chances that the "save" button had not been clicked for five days is utterly slim.

Thanks.

HQ

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't know what to tell you. I can't see that there is any other source of files than the current ones that are being backed up.

If you are also running System Restore, check one of the files from a restore point just before or just after your other backup and see how it compares. It could be a glitch in GFI, I suppose.

8. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

fair enough, I will run some tests. At least I know I wasn't totally wrong about how case is supposed to work.

Thanks for the help, I 'll post back when I get some answers.

cheers : )

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053605